Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Premier is my oldest card

tag
Fico_Dish
New Contributor

First Premier is my oldest card

First premier with a limit of only 400 is my oldest card (about 8 year old). All other cards are about 2 years old which includes BOA, citi, chase, discover. I hate to pay the late fee every year for the First Premier and would prefer to close that account. How much will it hurt my FICO if I close this First Premier account which has only limit of 400 out of a total CL that I have of about 45000. Please advise..
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Eliae
Established Member

Re: First Premier is my oldest card

Closing the account will not hurt your FICO score, especially if it makes up only a small portion of your total revolving availability.  All accounts you've ever had will remain on your credit report indefinitely, including all good information regarding an account.  Bad information (late payments, derogatory accounts, etc) will fall off of your report after 7 years.  Closing the account will still allow that account to be a part of your AAoA (Average Age of Accounts) and will still be listed as your oldest account when a lender is looking over your report.  The only impact would be on your utilization ratio and if the amount is only 0.8% of your total revolving limits, you shouldn't see any impact whatsoever.

Save yourself some money and close out the account.  Make sure you talk to someone about any additional fees or interest charges that could possibly roll in after the account is closed and monitor it for at least a couple of months afterwards to ensure it stays clear.

Best of luck,

- Eliae

TU: 739 as of 03/31/10 --- Why does everyone pull TU? It would be nice if I could spread out the inquiry hits a bit more...
EQ: 805 as of 03/31/10
Message 2 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Eliae wrote:

Closing the account will not hurt your FICO score, especially if it makes up only a small portion of your total revolving availability.  All accounts you've ever had will remain on your credit report indefinitely, including all good information regarding an account.  Bad information (late payments, derogatory accounts, etc) will fall off of your report after 7 years.  Closing the account will still allow that account to be a part of your AAoA (Average Age of Accounts) and will still be listed as your oldest account when a lender is looking over your report.  The only impact would be on your utilization ratio and if the amount is only 0.8% of your total revolving limits, you shouldn't see any impact whatsoever.

Save yourself some money and close out the account.  Make sure you talk to someone about any additional fees or interest charges that could possibly roll in after the account is closed and monitor it for at least a couple of months afterwards to ensure it stays clear.

Best of luck,

- Eliae

All accounts you've ever had will remain on your credit report indefinitely,

This CAN happen because there is no regulation that requires CRA's to remove closed accounts at any time. However almost always the closed accounts in good standing will drop off at about 10 years. A few people here have reported exceptions to this but very, very few. In all the years I've had a credit history I've only had one closed acount that stayed longer than 10 years.

Bad information (late payments, derogatory accounts, etc) will fall off of your report after 7 years.

Here is how and when derogs drop from you CR, and are thus no longer included in FICO scoring.

Monthly delinquencies under an OC account drop at 7 years from their individual date of delinquency. FCRA 605(a)(5). The date of first delinquency (DOFD) has nothing to do with these drop-off dates. They drop from their own individual dates. So look at each prior OC reported monthly derog date, and simply add 7 years.

If the OC subsequently reports their account as a charge off, that is a totally different and additional post to your CR. Their post as a charge-off will remain in your CR for 7 1/2 years from the DOFD on the OC account, which is the first 30-day delinquency you had on the account, and disregards any later 60/90+ delinquencies that followed. That is one single date-certain, and cannot be reset. FCRA 605(c).

If the OC then refers the account for collection, and a CA posts to your CR, the drop-off date of their collection reporting is the same as that of a CO. It is 7 1/2 years from the same DOFD on the OC account, and the CA cannot reset this date. Again, FCRA 605(c).

From a BK years ago to:
7/09 TU-742 EQ- 779
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802

You can do the same thing with hard work.

Message 3 of 6
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Fico_Dish wrote:
First premier with a limit of only 400 is my oldest card (about 8 year old). All other cards are about 2 years old which includes BOA, citi, chase, discover. I hate to pay the late fee every year for the First Premier and would prefer to close that account. How much will it hurt my FICO if I close this First Premier account which has only limit of 400 out of a total CL that I have of about 45000. Please advise..

It will not hurt your FICO at all. The limit is so low compared to your other credit lines.

It will continue to report positively and will still count as your oldest account for approximately the next 10 years. It will also continue to be calculated in your average age of accounts for that same 10 years.

Tell First Premier bye-bye. You have no need for them any longer. You've arrived!

Message 4 of 6
tbrowne34
Established Member

I too had First Premier as my first rebuilding card with a starting cl of $200 after a year and half it was a paltry $325.  It served it's purpose , I now have HSBC cash or fly no fee card with $3000 cl ; a Cabelas no fee 1% cashback $2500 cl; and Barclays Virgin America no fee $2500 cl , Macys $1100 up from $300 starting cl July O9; a kays card $3000cl. and an Amazon store card $1200

I happily dropped the First Premier  two days ago with it's plethora of fees and charges thanks to my fico I realized this was a prudent move to make.  I also would like to say the backdoor number for Barclays saved me when I got the denial on the Virgin America card I called it for a reconsideration and was rewarded with an approval and $2500 cl.  Three Cheers for MyFico.com!!!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you close, your current 2 year old accounts will be 12 years old before FP disappears from your CR's (with the possibly exception of EQ who sometimes loses closed accounts before the 10 year norm).

So, closing will not affect your AAoA or oldest account calcs.  It will only affect your total CL's by $400.

If it were me....and I had several other better and/or prime cards, I'd close it and quit paying good money for a service you no longer need.

IMO Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.