Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First Premier

Congrats Timothy. Time for celebrating Smiley Happy
Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

the first premier is my oldset credit card should I cancel it?
Message 13 of 23
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
the first premier is my oldset credit card should I cancel it?

How old is it, and how old are the next three oldest cards?

If it's 10 years old, and your next oldest cards are all only 3-4 years old, your overall length of credit history and probably your average length of credit history would be hurt. But if you have a lot of other credit from around the same time, it might not hurt much, and if the fees are unreasonable, it might be a good decision.

It's just a math problem, and the more TL's you have, then generally the less impact one closing would have. Unless as I said, this one card is way older than anything else you have.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

My first premier card is about 2 1/2 years old, Cap 1 about 6 months,  A second Cap1 card about 1 month old, I just got approved for a HSBC CC.
Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Eat the fees until just before it is due to charge the annual fee again (gives you 3 years) - in the meantime the other one will age to 12 months and the new one to six months.  You will keep it's age until 10 years after closing by which point all others will have aged.

Right now my second oldest is an Exxon, then home depot then JC Penney (all within 5 months) - so closing mine didn't hurt my 'age' at all (exxon was the same month).  The gas and store cards I can keep forever (no fees on them) to nicely age my profile down the road.
Message 16 of 23
phumanr
Frequent Contributor

All,

I have fired 1st Premier, Credit One, Orchard Bank, and Tribute card -- I am glad to get rid of all those fees; however, it is well worth it to use these to rebuild if you can't get other cards.

Phumanr
Message 17 of 23
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Hey, you use them when you need them, and when they have served their purpose, wave bye-bye!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 18 of 23
NowIcare
Regular Contributor

I just closed this card today also felt so good to tell them to shove it. They offered to waive the AF but not the $6 dollar "servicing fee" I said no thanks please close...... Ha Ha Ha I guess they served their duty and helped me a ton (although it cost me alot) but time to move on to low apr and no AF WOOO HOOO
NO SIGNATURE FOR ME
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

ROTFLOL

Same here - offered to waive the annual fee but not the $6/month (consider waiving that permanently and I "might" consider it).  They even had the nerve to offer me a second card.

It felt so good to close that card - but it did serve its purpose so I really can't knock it.
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.