Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Progress

tag
ktm214
Frequent Contributor

First Progress

Is the First Progress card a decent rebuilding card?  I got turned down for a Cap One Platinum and can't apply for another 45 days for a Cap One Card.   Thank You

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: First Progress

Yes, it is. My brother got one. He had the card for over a year. It is a good rebuilding card. They report to all three.

Ron.

Message 2 of 13
ktm214
Frequent Contributor

Thank you, Ron.

Message 3 of 13
Ron1
Super Contributor

You're welcome. They pulled EXP. It doesn't unsecure. You have to close when your credit get better.

Ron.

Message 4 of 13
ktm214
Frequent Contributor

Thanks. Do you know if it reports as secured?
Message 5 of 13
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I have heard they don't do credit limit increases, so it might be better to try Merrick Bank.  They do CLI's even if it does take a while!  I know some have complained about them, but from my experience they are pretty good.  After they started giving me CLI's I now have a limit which is 3x what I deposited with them.  They won't at this point ever unsecure the card and I think that is also true of First Progress.  They might solicit you for an unsecured card at some point, although that has never happened with me.  I think if they did I would decline it because it would be a set back to the other cards I have now with rewards!

They need to expand a bit what they offer in the way of products!  They need to reconsider their security funds policy to allow for you to get your money back at some point.  I have been with them for 6 years, I really want either interest on the funds or for it to be given back to me.  I don't want an account with fee any longer!  I also don't want to give up the oldest credit line I have!  They need to consider product changes for those of us who are loyal customers and want to continue the relationship.  I know I will have to close the account at some point if they don't grow with me.  I would even settle for them to product change me to an unsecured card with no annual fee so I don't lose the history!

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 6 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

CLI's are pretty secondary when we're talking secured cards or even unsecured initial tradelines for rebuilding.  With incredibly few exceptions they aren't cards that one keeps forever anyway.  Whether they report as secured or not also is likewise secondary.

Get 2ish tradelines that report to all three and call it good, everything else is trivial compared to establishing positive payment history when it comes to FICO, possible exception of removing bad information being equal; however, need to do both and that second one is not always feasible... getting OK's on a couple new credit cards for monthly payment status, priceless.

        
Message 7 of 13
Rkeefer01
Established Member

Horrible company! BEWARE! This company doesn't have an option of auto pay. Here is what happened to me. I went online to there site and filled out the form that looks like your writing a check. I filed out everything and clicked the "make payment" button. the screen flashes blank and everything looks good to go. A few months later I get credit score alert that my scores have dropped over 50 points! When I look at my report I see First Progress has reported my account over 30 days late! I call First Progress right away and tell them this has already been paid. They said they payment never went through. I was shocked. I said I have never been late before and I will pay everything in full right now with you on the phone. They said I had to do it online and they could take my card over the phone. It took 4 times for me in input my information before it would go through. The prior 3 times the screen would just flash like the payment went through. I wouldn't get an error message but I check my online back to see the charge show up. each time it didn't I would enter the info again. The 4th time it went through I finally got an email conformation. I called back and told them about the system issue and they didn't care at all. I asked that they remove this 30 day late as their system is messed up and I did everything I could to pay this balance in full and on time and that I never been late before. They didn't care and were more than happy to ruin my credit so they could keep me stuck paying there high interested fees. After many more calls to reason with them and remove the 30 day late which has cost my family our home loan! I have cancelled the card. I will never have a credit card that doesn't offer auto payment options. This is one terrible company in my opinion.

Starting Score: 533
Current Score: TU 609, EQ 587 EX ???
Goal Score: 720+ ALL THREE

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 13
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@Rkeefer01 wrote:

Horrible company! BEWARE! This company doesn't have an option of auto pay. Here is what happened to me. I went online to there site and filled out the form that looks like your writing a check. I filed out everything and clicked the "make payment" button. the screen flashes blank and everything looks good to go. A few months later I get credit score alert that my scores have dropped over 50 points! When I look at my report I see First Progress has reported my account over 30 days late! I call First Progress right away and tell them this has already been paid. They said they payment never went through. I was shocked. I said I have never been late before and I will pay everything in full right now with you on the phone. They said I had to do it online and they could take my card over the phone. It took 4 times for me in input my information before it would go through. The prior 3 times the screen would just flash like the payment went through. I wouldn't get an error message but I check my online back to see the charge show up. each time it didn't I would enter the info again. The 4th time it went through I finally got an email conformation. I called back and told them about the system issue and they didn't care at all. I asked that they remove this 30 day late as their system is messed up and I did everything I could to pay this balance in full and on time and that I never been late before. They didn't care and were more than happy to ruin my credit so they could keep me stuck paying there high interested fees. After many more calls to reason with them and remove the 30 day late which has cost my family our home loan! I have cancelled the card. I will never have a credit card that doesn't offer auto payment options. This is one terrible company in my opinion.

You should contact the Better Business Bureau about this.  If it as you say, they will make attempts to correct it for you.  You should also connect with anyone else here to do the same if they have had the same issue as you.  It is through numbers that we accomplish a task.  Remember that the CSR's don't get paid to care.  However, business do notice when the BBB steps in.  Be kind in your explanation and explain your attempts properly and how you tried to get it escalated so that upper management could become aware of the problem and it was refused.  Using tactics like this add to a legitimate issue and businesses do want the right thing to happen. 

I had an incident with Merrick Bank where I had changed my account to a new default account when they add functionality to their system.  When this happened I missed a payment and the CSR's said it was my problem.  They insisted I made the error.  I knew I had made no errors in this.  I pressed the CSR's to do something about it and they kept up telling me I made the error and it was my fault and there was nothing I could do.  I did not accept this answer and even when I spoke with a manager about it then nothing was done except to tell me that I was at fault.  I took it up to corporate and properly explained the issue via email to a VP of the company.  I was vindicated as the VP had the power to check into it and took things seriously.  I wrote a great letter which was both simple and explained that attemptes had been made with the CSR's and all negative information about it was removed from their system. 

I have in the past spoken with Synovous upper management about their program, so I do suggest the BBB.  The people I did speak to there seemed to be above others and did not seem to care about us in the lower tier of credit.  One lady was downright rude without me even giving her reason to be except by asking questions and comparing their program to others.  She did not like that I guess.  She was from GA and I can tell you I thought Southern Hospitality was normally great.  However, I do see there is some prejudice left over from the Civil War, which I had nothing to do with!

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 9 of 13
NewtoCredit80
Frequent Contributor

I would not recommend rebuilder cards like FP which are fee hoggs. You should save some money and try to get a secured card from CapOne with only $29 annual fee. 

Use the card below 10% and PIF every month.

PNC Secured 2000 (Dec12), Chase Amazon 2000 (Apr13), CapOne Newcomer 2500 (May13), Citi dividend 3000 (May13), Discover IT 1000 (Jul13), Amex BCP 6000 (Jul13), Chase Southwest 10000 (Jul13), Chase Marriott 12000 (Oct 13), BofA Travel Rewards 5000 (Dec13)

- In garden till Dec 2014
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.