cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

* First REAL Adverse Action - BofA SHUT DOWN !

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

* First REAL Adverse Action - BofA SHUT DOWN !

Let me begin by saying this is a hard thread to write -- and I want to preface this by saying that I am very sorry that I did not listen to some of you with the (albeit sometimes abrupt) sound advice you had to offer me during my app sprees. I do regret not listening to those who are far more seasoned than myself, and have backed off quite a bit in apping after my success with PenFed. THAT SAID, the only reason I'm posting this is because a fellow poster, CreditAddict, posted an almost IDENTICAL post a week ago, and I want this to be a data point and lesson for many others who exhibit simialr behavior.

My card with BofA was opened in November with a TU score of about 675-680, as the ALASKA AIR Card $2000 limit -- bumped to $5,000 after 2 months. In March, I wanted to see if I could get this card changed to CASH REWARDS, and was contacted by an Underwriter Superviosr who approved the change, which she stated at the time was "due to my excellent payment history with BofA, and credit report" .. odd looking back that 60 days later they nix me. The card did not change until 5/1, and on 5/2, I go to log in and get the dreaded message "You have no open accounts" ! I instantly knew after reading Creditaddict's post -- and low and behold, I call in, SAME EXACT REASON -- Too much available credit and inquiries. The analyst offered to put me in for a reopen, but stated it would be a HP -- I said no way. You're complaining about my INQs and you want to add another? Pound sand, lady. I must say the logic of these lenders makes very little sense to me, and seems very counterproductive, but I digress. I requested a Senior UW, who stated "You do have FANTASTIC payment history with us, and I see you always pay your account in full and your overall credit picture is very good (according to her SP score pulled - get this - 709), however due to the very large amount of available credit to you, the account was closed." I am waiting on a call from the Asst VP in UW, but not holding my breath and to be honest -- I'm not all that upset. I engaged in risky behavior, and now I see what can happen. I do not necessarily AGREE with the decision, but I do not work in risk based finances, so there's that.

Now, I will say that my overall UTIL (which she complimented too) is now at 7%-8% overall, my overall avaialble credit is about $120,000, & my balances TOTAL are just a tad under $8k after some paydowns. She also said that at any time after I "lessen my available credit to me" I can call her (gave direct # !!) and she will look at my account for a reinstatement given my history with them and credit being inherently good. She ALSO SAID -- and here is the real driving point for you app-spreeers - that what triggered my review was SUDDENLY charging & paying off my large balance! Normally on my BofA card, I dont charge a lot as it is -- because I was not getting the cash rewards yet -- but this past month I put a large charge on it of ~$4000 for tickets and hotel since my partner flies Alaska, and paid it off within billing cycle. BOOM. Account Review. She blatantly told me that is a red flag for BofA, and it sent my account for review. Nothing more; infact, she said that my UTIL is considered "excellent" ?

Here's one thing that really lights my fire though -- You can close my account on May 2 using a SP, but you want to ADD a HP the SAME DAY to reopen my account, and further damage my credit in the INQ Section at least ?? Absolutely ridciulous. Beyond, infact. So @ss backwards, but it is what it is.  Even she said "I see where that can be odd to a consumer".  She was actually quite nice, so I had a hard time really copping a 'tude with her which lets be honest, I can sometimes do Smiley Very Happy

Now, With all that said, I am taking a long break from the forums after this post -- especially the APPROVALS section. It can be very educational and amazingly informative, but also destructive for certain personality types. I have ALLLLLLL the credit I need, and can truthfully say I'm done for a very long time (to note, I havent had an INQ in about a month as it is). I wish all of you the absolute best in your journey, and hope that someone can learn from this experience. It sure as heck is not the end of the world, I'm not the first to go through it and I will not be the last, and life sure goes on wtihout BofA in my wallet Smiley Wink

Thank you all again! :-)

122 REPLIES 122
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: * First REAL Adverse Action - BofA SHUT DOWN !

Sorry for you account closure.  Appreciate your post and providing the information as to what caused the AA.

Message 2 of 123
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you Irish!  

Message 3 of 123
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Wow sorry to hear about the closure of your BofA card! It seems to me that BofA has a slightly lower threshold for AA compared to the other major banks. 

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 4 of 123
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Discover -- like i said, second post in a week with EXACT same reasoning -- similar ot the sweep of Discover a few weeks ago which my friend's account was yanked suddenly.  Lenders are perhaps tightening up across the board

Message 5 of 123
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear.. Thanks for sharing and hang in there..

Message 6 of 123
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you Yes-its-Me!!!!!  im fine Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 123
Gatito
Contributor

WOW! Sorry for the acct closure but thanks for this informative post! This will really help myself and many others out. Cat Indifferent

Message 8 of 123
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Thanks for posting as it serves as another reminder for people to limit exposure. Diversity is good, but it doesn't mean you need a million cards and limits you won't use. Best to keep things moderate.
Message 9 of 123
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

So let's try to make some more sense of this ok?

The account was roughly only 6 months history? And a charge of $4K was put on a $5K total limit in spite of the fact that it was PIF within that same billing period.

Dunno but maybe that most likely did rattle their cage.

It's been suggested here and there before to tread easy and light with them early on until establishing some pattern whatever that might be and a lot longer than 6 months?

Just trying to read deeper into them on this and thanks so much OP for taking the courage to share your experience on this with the forum that very well may save the bacon for others who might be in a rush with them.

Then again it very well could be systematic of something else altogether entirely different but still is a bummer..

Message 10 of 123
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.