cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Secured Credit Card?

tag
NastyNatex

First Secured Credit Card?

Hello I was just recently approved Capital One Secured Credit Card a few minutes ago. Haven't sent in the deposit  yet because I wanted to know should I just stick with Capital One or go to Bank Of America secured credit card.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
AlwaysUp
Established Member

Re: First Secured Credit Card?

I would stick to Bank of America. Crap one is pure garbage. I believe your card can graduate with BoA.

Message 2 of 13
NastyNatex

Yeah someone told me that BofA card graduates.

Message 3 of 13
msbia
Established Contributor

Well everyone is different. Some people love Capital One and I think that they have a good secured card, my husband has one. He deposited $49 and they gave him a $200 limit. He's been making timely payments and loves the freedom it gives him. The BOA is not guaranteed approval, they have pretty stringent requirements as well and i have seen people get denied for it. The State Department secured card is a good bet, but I got my secured through my credit union and through a Discover denial and a Usaa secured. Easiest bet, Cap1, iffy but best all round secured card, BOA, alternates SDFCU or local CU. Good luck op!

Personal Credit? Check. Business Credit? Check.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 4 of 13
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@msbia wrote:

Well everyone is different. Some people love Capital One and I think that they have a good secured card, my husband has one. He deposited $49 and they gave him a $200 limit. He's been making timely payments and loves the freedom it gives him. The BOA is not guaranteed approval, they have pretty stringent requirements as well and i have seen people get denied for it. The State Department secured card is a good bet, but I got my secured through my credit union and through a Discover denial and a Usaa secured. Easiest bet, Cap1, iffy but best all round secured card, BOA, alternates SDFCU or local CU. Good luck op!

I agree with this.  At one point I was really unhappy with Capital One, but I've realized they offer products that served as a means to an end.  Without the history I was able to build with them, I may not be where I am today.  So you will find opinions all over the place with them and just about all other lenders.

BoA secured card is a really nice product and has a high rate of graduation. 

Message 5 of 13
NastyNatex

thanks for information guys/gals as of right now i'll stick with capitalone since im already approved but i will check out SDFCU secured card for some more info before I send out the security deposit to Cap1

Message 6 of 13
Hubcapjw
Contributor

I've had a cap 1 secured card for 13 months. Also have an unsecured cap 1 card for 9 months. I have had zero problems with cap 1.  Their app is great and very easy to use. It will take awhile for your card to arrive. I have take my score from a 0 to a 700 in 13 months. I also have gotten increases on both cards. The beginning of May I will be going on an app spree thanks to the help of these 2 cards.   Go for it....work the card for 6 months to a year and move on to bigger and better cards.

Message 7 of 13
JoshuaHolySpirit
Frequent Contributor

UNITY VISA (google'em), lets you deposit up to $10,000.

They are new (January 2014?). ( Bummer, AF$39/17.99% )

Still kinda nice for building/rebuilding, like 10k credit line.....

Harley Davidson has  $0AF but up to $5000 only.

Yeah, that's after Cap One & BOA Secured.......

Capital One QS1, Capital One Journey, Williams-Sonoma Visa, Amex Travelocity, Chase Slate, Amex SPG, Amex Blue Sky, Bank of America Travel Rewards, JCPenney...and more ( Holy Spirit rocks-!! ) TU-Fico-777
Message 8 of 13
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

You already have the inquiry, so you might as well stink with the Capone card.  (Yeah, I used the word stink...)

If you only want one, the inquiry is there, so I would simply stick with it and who knows in a year or two it might be easier to graduate to an unsecure card.  Capone seems to be changing a bit, rather slowly I might add, so who knows what they will consider in a year or two.  Having a second secure card, one which has a higher instance of graduation, will still have good reporting during the time it is secured.  This will only be good for your report.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 9 of 13
NastyNatex

yeah I just stuck with cap1 for now hopefully everything go according to plan. But I which I would of went with BofA or SDFCU.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.