Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Tech FCU Questions

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: First Tech FCU Questions

@Anonymous wrote:

The Diner's Club Masrercards that are no longer issued are PIN default as well.  Not many out there though not sure if it's really that big of a deal as most people will never have any issues signing their card when travelling.

Though I usually enjoy them, in this case I want to avoid AF dodging games and speculation over what may or may not return. I'll meet the $2k minimum spend for the bonus, but apart from that I'm just interested in basic functionality if and when my usual cards give me trouble.

I'm generally cynical of the "just put a small recurring charge on it" approach, but this is one case where I may do it.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The Diner's Club Masrercards that are no longer issued are PIN default as well.  Not many out there though not sure if it's really that big of a deal as most people will never have any issues signing their card when travelling.

I think they still have their uses, especially for those who don't want to have to pay with their phones to skip having to sign for stuff overseas.

In the US though? They can be a bit of a hassle (though that's improving more due to merchants deciding to disable PIN on their terminals than anything else.)

Message 12 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

For me, the cost of an additional tradeline not to have issues, and more importantly, to not be "that guy" holding up the line in places where a PIN is expected... heck an easy analogy would be people that pay with various bits of shrapnel (change) and having to count it out here in the States even.

Sure, you can, but it's likely going to annoy people behind you at the delay.

I'd rather avoid that, awkward enough being a stranger in a strange land, perhaps moreso for people these days.

I wish I'd picked up a Diners, but I wasn't smart enough to see the use case when I could.

        
Message 13 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I expect to apply in a few weeks when travel quiets down and I can more conveniently send any documents they may want.

I see they list a variety of ways to redeem the rewards on Choice, but don't mention point values. Is it 1 cpp for statement credits? Is there a way to get more value?
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.