Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First World Elite through upgrade

tag
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

First World Elite through upgrade

Citi, for apparent reason, except maybe spend, my American Airlines World card was upgraded to Elite status.  I have only had the account for a few months and yesterday I got a new card in the mail and it was World Elite.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: First World Elite through upgrade

Interesting. Grats

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 7
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Congrats!

Message 3 of 7
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

@TiggerDat wrote:

Citi, for apparent reason, except maybe spend, my American Airlines World card was upgraded to Elite status.  I have only had the account for a few months and yesterday I got a new card in the mail and it was World Elite.

Reason: So they can charge higher merchant transaction fees.

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 4 of 7
elim
Senior Contributor

+1  Greater income for citi

Maye like the DC and all cards will be WEMC

Message 5 of 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

My AAdvantage Platinum was also updated to WEMC soon after approval as WMC in July. I doubt it is based on any spend criteria, but who knows.

Congratulations!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TiggerDat wrote:

This is a well known loophole. Now go apply for another AA card and get yourself another bonus, wait until that one is upgraded and open another. Rinse and repeat until you feel you have enough bonuses for your next trip. 

EDIT: Here's a link if you're interested in more reading: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/3zd8e9/megathread_all_things_related_to_citi_aa_platinum/

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.