Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First app spree results...

tag
Home2014
New Contributor

First app spree results...

On 7/10, after doing some research on this site and garnering some great advice from the forums, I submitted my first credit apps since 2006. I'm sharing the good, bad, and ugly in case it is helpful to anyone. I certainly learned some lessons from the experience.

Listed in order:

Capitol One Platinum - instant approval w/$2000 CL
Chase Freedom - instant approval w/$4500 CL

[*paused to absorb shock of wins, then my addictive gambling side set in...*]

Citi AAdvantage - instant approval w/$3500 CL

[*does evil laugh and feels unstoppable, until.....*]

Amex Blue - DENIED

[*feels insulted. Thinks they must have been mistaken and I'll give them a chance to reconsider, but first...*]

Discover IT - DENIED

[*accepts defeat and realized my luck has run its course, but continues to supress the "you know better" feeling, and...*]

Walmart card - instant approval w/$400 CL

[*buhBAM! I'm on a comeback streak, so...*]

Citi Hilton Honors - DENIED and with two hard pull from them in 1 day :-( 

[*someone or something is clearly trying to save me from myself, so I stop here....sort of*]

The next day, I called Amex, Discover, and Citi to see why they denied me and whether they would reconsider...here are the reasons I was given for the denials:

• AMEX: credit score too low, pulled from Experian, a few baddies, student loan debt load, and not enough credit lines to see use pattern. OK, fair enough.
  • Discover: pretty much same as above, but they pulled from Equifax. Fair enough. 
  • Citi Hilton Honors: I was honostly surprised to be denied since they had just approved me for the Advantage card just hours earlier. And here's the kicker...they cited one reason --- TOO MANY INQUIRIES Smiley EmbarassedSmiley Sad

Today, I learned that my Equifax score took about a 30 point hit from the inquiries. AMEX actually pulled from two reporting agencies, and I need to be in time out. However, I came home to a card offer from merrick bank (no annual fees, no penalty rates, automatic doubling of CL after 7 months of on-time payments). I went to the website, entered the offer code, applied, and was approved by merrick bank with a $700 CL

I certainly took this too far in a short period and am placing myself in the timeout corner for a long while (golden spade bound). But at the end of the day, I have an additional $11,100 CL Smiley Happy

Chase Sapphire Preferred $10,000 | United Mileage Plus Visa $8000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom Visa $4800 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum World MC $3500 | PayPal Extras MC $3250 | Amazon Store $3000 | Quicksilver One MC $2500 | Walmart Discover $2000 | Merrick Bank Visa $1400 | First Premier Bank $300
Last App 01/10/2014... In the Garden until Fall 2014
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Commandolam
New Contributor

Re: First app spree results...

Why the spree?

Age: 20 | AAoA: 1.1 Years | TU Fico: 725 | EX Fico: 719 | EQ Fico: 693
Last App: 12/09/2013
Message 2 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Home2014 wrote:

On 7/10, after doing some research on this site and garnering some great advice from the forums, I submitted my first credit apps since 2006. I'm sharing the good, bad, and ugly in case it is helpful to anyone. I certainly learned some lessons from the experience.

Listed in order:

Capitol One Platinum - instant approval w/$2000 CL
Chase Freedom - instant approval w/$4500 CL

[*paused to absorb shock of wins, then my addictive gambling side set in...*]

Citi AAdvantage - instant approval w/$3500 CL

[*does evil laugh and feels unstoppable, until.....*]

Amex Blue - DENIED

[*feels insulted. Thinks they must have been mistaken and I'll give them a chance to reconsider, but first...*]

Discover IT - DENIED

[*accepts defeat and realized my luck has run its course, but continues to supress the "you know better" feeling, and...*]

Walmart card - instant approval w/$400 CL

[*buhBAM! I'm on a comeback streak, so...*]

Citi Hilton Honors - DENIED and with two hard pull from them in 1 day :-( 

[*someone or something is clearly trying to save me from myself, so I stop here....sort of*]

The next day, I called Amex, Discover, and Citi to see why they denied me and whether they would reconsider...here are the reasons I was given for the denials:

• AMEX: credit score too low, pulled from Experian, a few baddies, student loan debt load, and not enough credit lines to see use pattern. OK, fair enough.
  • Discover: pretty much same as above, but they pulled from Equifax. Fair enough. 
  • Citi Hilton Honors: I was honostly surprised to be denied since they had just approved me for the Advantage card just hours earlier. And here's the kicker...they cited one reason --- TOO MANY INQUIRIES Smiley EmbarassedSmiley Sad

Today, I learned that my Equifax score took about a 30 point hit from the inquiries. AMEX actually pulled from two reporting agencies, and I need to be in time out. However, I came home to a card offer from merrick bank (no annual fees, no penalty rates, automatic doubling of CL after 7 months of on-time payments). I went to the website, entered the offer code, applied, and was approved by merrick bank with a $700 CL

I certainly took this too far in a short period and am placing myself in the timeout corner for a long while (golden spade bound). But at the end of the day, I have an additional $11,100 CL Smiley Happy

Congrats and yes its time to check into the garden for sure Lol

See you there 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 15
Home2014
New Contributor

@Commandolam wrote:

Why the spree?

It was really just out of control behavior. I only intended to apply for two cards.  

As background, I've only had one credit card with a $300 limit since 2006. I simpy don't use credit but thought it was time that I obtained a card or two to start building my score. I hope to purchase a home in 2014.

Chase Sapphire Preferred $10,000 | United Mileage Plus Visa $8000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom Visa $4800 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum World MC $3500 | PayPal Extras MC $3250 | Amazon Store $3000 | Quicksilver One MC $2500 | Walmart Discover $2000 | Merrick Bank Visa $1400 | First Premier Bank $300
Last App 01/10/2014... In the Garden until Fall 2014
Message 4 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Congrats...By the way... Citi usually will auto deny an app if 2 are submitted on the same day.
Message 5 of 15
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Congrats on the spree...btw, loved the play by play...haha.

It felt so dramatic in my head when I pictured the whole thing...lol.

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 6 of 15
-HighScoringGame-
New Contributor

Congrats! I also enjoyed the play-by-play. See you in the garden. =)

Current Scores: EX 733, EQ 738, TU 738
Current Cards: Discover IT $19,000, Amex BCE $20,000, BofA Rewards Visa (AAA) $16,000, Chase Freedom Unlimited $10,000, Avenue $1,190, Lane Bryant $750

~Re-entered the Garden: July 2018
~In the Garden until: July 2019
Message 7 of 15
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

Big Congrats on the approvals and limits!!!

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 8 of 15
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Congrats and time to let those accounts and inquiries age! Off to the garden!

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 9 of 15
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

Congrats! The play by play was hilarious Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.