Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First credit card?

tag
vega25

First credit card?

I am writing this on behalf of a friend:

She is 30, has had a social security number, bank accounts, rented property for a while but never once had a credit card. Or an auto loan, mortage etc. So she's not sure she's ever had a credit history pull, or frankly if one even exists. I don't understand the mechanics but I'm guessing that with no credit, there is no score even. Anyway, in this situation, what would people advise?

Go with a secured credit card to begin with (which is not ideal at all), or perhaps try Capital One or another bank or specific card that the bank is known to be considerate about for cases like this? Of course it might involve a low credit limit to begin with and then waiting a year or two (more?) before taking advantage of a history or decent score by then to expand options. I'd appreciate specific card recommendations as well, so I can pass them on.

Thank you so much, everyone.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Re: First credit card?

HI there! It would be easier if your friend would post on her own so we can help better.

First she should pull her credit reports, if she can generate any. If she has collections, student loans, auto loans, etc.. she may have some kind of history, and perhaps history she forgot about.

No credit is often harder to work with than bad credit it seems. Most likely with no credit at all, she will need to start with a secured card, or try to get credit approved through a credit union. If a lender can not access her potential risk, they're unlikely to extend unsecured credit to her.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 2 of 7
notfancy
Valued Contributor

also- she can attempt to go to each credit card site and run through their "pre-approval" links to see if any thing pops.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 3 of 7
vega25

Thank you. Yes my advice was to sign up for this group directly but since I have a log-in already, we use mine.

We checked for "building credit" cards but most point to student credit cards. I suppose there is no harm in giving one of them a shot.

Message 4 of 7
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

I think she should try a credit union first. Attempt for unsecured but failing that, go for secured. I know secured is not ideal but she needs to start somewhere. Assuming she has nothing negative on her credit reports, I would avoid sub-prime cards altogether. They have a place only IF better can't be done.

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 5 of 7
39Xelor
Established Member

I would definitely go to all of the websites that do a Pre-qual and have her put her info in and see if she is even on the radar for any cards in particular. Citi, Chase, Cap One, BOA, Amex and even US Bank all have pre-quals on there websites that you can use. They obviously don't guarantee an approval but they at least let you know if you are in the "ballpark". Since she has no CC's or loans im assuming your friend has no inq's on their report so that will be helpful!

Whats In My Wallet? A Whole Lotta' Awesomeness!
Message 6 of 7
credit-hunter
Frequent Contributor

Welcome to the forum their are many great posters here to learn from. the search box is a great tool ..Good luck

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.