cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First non student credit card?

tag
alkyoneus

First non student credit card?

I wanted some opinions based on my current credit report/credit score to see what card I should apply or qualify for and what the best choice for me in terms of a card is? I was wondering if maybe joining Penfed and signing up for their 5% cashback gas card?

I'm finishing college within the next year and I have 3 college cards as of now. Very limited income of part time job as I focus on studies.

Currently my scores:

3 revolving accounts:

Discover Cashback Bonus: Since 9/09 $1500 (have not gotten auto CLI yet, waiting for auto check after 1yr since account opened)

BOAStudent Platinum Plus: Since 10/09 $2500 (Started @ 1500 then CLI'd to 2000 and finally just got 500 CLI a few days ago to max student allowable)

Citi Student Platinum Select: Since 9/08 $4000 (Started @ 1500 then CLI'd to 4000

Always on time, never late, always paid full balance.

Average Age of Accounts: Oldest: 2yrs Average: 1yr 4 months

No tradelines/loans

Last  Inquiry:  6/09 (When opened my Suntrust bank account)

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: First non student credit card?

Welcome to myFICO.

At the top of the page you'll see a tab for "Credit Card Center". You might look around there for some ideas plus you'll get recommendations from other members.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 2 of 7
smc733
Valued Contributor

Bank of America will happily convert your Student Card, they converted mine after 3 months!

The Citi Forward card is also a great option, depending how you feel on the design of the card, it has tremendous points for entertainment and resteraunts, which is a good thing, and Citi has been handing out generous limits.

Amex Blue is definitely within reach for you as well.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 3 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

Bank of America will happily convert your Student Card, they converted mine after 3 months!

The Citi Forward card is also a great option, depending how you feel on the design of the card, it has tremendous points for entertainment and resteraunts, which is a good thing, and Citi has been handing out generous limits.

Amex Blue is definitely within reach for you as well.

+1

Message 4 of 7
alkyoneus

How does the conversion of Student cards affect me? soft pull or hard pull? does it add a new account or convert and maintain the AAOA to a new card?

Message 5 of 7
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

Your score is pretty good for a college student. I'm on the same boat as you are. I got approved for multiple cards within the last few months ( Zync, Citi, BofA,HSBC). I would highly suggest building a history with AMEX if you're interested. Try the Zync, they will gladly approve you for one with that score and history. I got approve with 2.0 years of history and 699 Equ at the time. I'm pretty sure you'll do better.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 6 of 7
smc733
Valued Contributor

BofA softed me for the conversion, definitely no hard pull.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.