Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First premier actually helped me!

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: First premier actually helped me!

Good luck OP, FP really isnt that bad, they helped me when nobody would take me in.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 11 of 15
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Growing up poor really doesn't afford one a great education on credit. It's also hard to deny yourself stuff when there's credit available.

$170K?! Wanna trade? LOL!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 15
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@BrokaToe wrote:

The best way to use your cards to increase your score is not to just pay on time.  But to keep your utilization for sure below 10% each month before your statement cuts.  This means that you need to pay down your balances before statement cut, which is usually 3 days following last months due date.  This way you are not getting charged interest on your accounts.  When the statement cuts, then pay off the remaining balance immediately, then that leaves a 0 balance to carry into the new billing cycle with.  Utilization plays a huge role on FICO scoring, so it's a must to keep it reporting low.  Most CCC's report the statement balance within a few days after your statement cuts.  You will find alot on this forum, that the suggestion is, to keep all cards but 1 reporting a 0 balance, and then have that 1 card report <9% utilization for the best score results  YMMV.

this is just a tricky tactic to max scoring for the month but is not required to do EVERY MONTH. I see many of us all the time forget that they let a balance post then the score tanks around 10 pts due to increased util and they get all bent out of shape.

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 13 of 15
CopperHD
New Contributor

First premier did help me too, they were the first rebuilder card that would approve me.  I made a point to not go the secured card route and always made sure that anything i was putting on my cards i had money to cover it in the bank.  I recently cancelled my First premier card because i feel that i have been past where they are for a while now and i did not see the reason to continue paying $7 a month to keep a card worth $250.  They did give me credit when no one else would but they did not grown with me, i have read some horror stories about people and their FP cards and most of them had no clue what they were getting into, they did not take the time to read the fine print, they fill a need but they are only a temporary card becuase poeple out grown them quickly.  

Current Scores EQ (697) Tu (740) EX (705) Amex pull
Current Cards- Amex PRG(NPSL), Amex Zync (NPSL), Amex Hilton Honors Surpass ($3000), Chase Sapphire Preferred ($12,000), Citi Simplicity ($10,900), Southwest Visa Signature ($10,500), Discover It ($4250), FNBO Amex ($4,000), First National Credit Card ($2000), Capital One Platinum ($2500 and $1750), Lowes ($6000) , Walmart Discover ($6000).
Message 14 of 15
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@searchingfor67 wrote:

@praise123 wrote:

I understand because I have 170,000 in student loan debt.  I pay every month and that's the price I had to pay to get a decent job.  My family was poor and I grew up in the projects bad area most people don't know what credit is about so I know that while I will always pay a student loan monthly this is the price i had to pay to get out of the projects.  If you can work a second job to pay down the debt, send GW letters, whatever it takes to turn your circumstances around because we all should be entitled to the American dream of owing a home and car.  I wish you the best of luck.

Amen! I grew up poor as well, and didn't learn about credit until well into my adult life...Nevertheless, we you learn better, you do better.

Same here. My life circumstances improved, and when I got my first credit card as a young adult, I went nuts with it! I had no adult role models to teach me about the proper use of credit. That's changed now. As a middle aged adult I've taken the time and effort to educate myself -- thank goodness for the Internet! -- and am determined not to repeat the mistakes that I've made previously.

To the OP, don't feel bad. A lot of us have torched our credit, but we've learned better and have bounced back. You can get there, too. Good luck on your journey of rebuilding. Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.