Frequent Contributor
gamegrrl

First "Big Girl Card": Question about making payments

[ Edited ]

I am the proud new owner of a NFCU Visa Signature Cash Rewards card. I plan to use this card for pretty much everything, then pay it off at statement time every month.

Having never had a bank-issued "Big Girl Card" before, I'm curious about the process for making a payment. I go to the NFCU site, navigate to my card, and I don't see anything there that says "Make a Payment", such as you'd see on Chase.com or CapOne's website. It looks like it treats the card like another banking account: Checking, Savings, Credit Card, and that you don't actually make 'payments', but instead transfer money TO that 'account'. I have already taken steps to set up two of my primary bank accounts (at another institution) so that I can transfer between them and NFCU, just in case that's how this does work.

Is this accurate, or am I just not seeing a "Make a Payment" link/button because the account is so new? I used it for the first time yesterday. Next statement is due to post 11/18.

I know I'm being a bit obsessive about this, but I want to be prepared, and I plan on taking very good care of this account forever and ever. :heart:

Thanks!

Starting Score: EQ 607 TU 693
Current Score: EX myFICO 750 - EQ myFICO 792 - TU08 (via Discover) 745 - TU myFICO 745
Goal Score: 800+ across the board!
Super Contributor
longtimelurker

Re: First "Big Girl Card": Question about making payments

I don't have a NFCU account, but Penfed is like this as well, to pay you "transfer" from bank account to credit card.

Frequent Contributor
watch44

[ Edited ]

Congrats Visa Siggy buddy!

You should see a payment button eventually. It's the same as making a transfer tho. This is my first time also having a credit card at my bank, and it's super convenient not waiting days for payments to post.

[edit: I misunderstood the question. But you should see a pay now button eventually. ] 

(Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Valued Contributor
Scupra

[ Edited ]

Transfer :smileyhappy: I use mine and then transfer money at the end of each day! Congrats

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
687 EQ FICO 12/2014
680 TU FICO 12/2014
673 EX FICO 12/2014
$14k NFCU Platinum - $25k NFCU cashRewards Sig - $15k NavChek - $6k Barclay Arrival WEMC - $5k Cap1 Quicksilver - $2.2k Amazon Store - $10k Cap1 VentureOne
Regular Contributor
GetTheFico

I have the 'make a payment' option under my 'transfers' tab. It shows as a drop down menu when you click the tab or hover the mouse over it, can't remember.

It may be different on newer site though, they are currently updating it. I'm still on the older version.
EQ: 714, TU: 706, EX: 684

Most used: Barclay Sallie Mae, Citi Double Cash
Hotel cards: Chase IHG, Marriott, Hyatt
Rarely used: AmEx BCE, Barclay Arrival, Discover it, NFCU cashRewards

Valued Member
klondike

You can use transer or use the payment option, it works the same way. I have all of my accounts with them and I typically use the transer option.

Starting FICO EQ Score: 597
Current FICO EQ Score: 664
Goal FICO EQ Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
blondy250

Citibank is also like this, the transfer option is faster.

MyFico 4/18/14
Experian-820, Equifax-834, Transunion (Discover)--850-- 7/6/14
Aaoa-9yrs, Oldest-14yrs
1 inquiry equifax 04 Chase mortgage
"Because your FICO® score is exceptionally high, there are no actionable negative factors present with your score".
09Lexie

Congratulations on your approval! Looks like all that gardening paid off. Time to turn back to a seedling. :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
gamegrrl

Well yesterday was the day! I received an email saying that my statement for the Visa Signature card was ready to be viewed.

I popped over and took a look at it, and then (thanks to all of your great input here!) I set up a xfer from my 'regular' bank (Huntington) to the Visa card account. I had already set up the external bank xfer capability for three external accounts earlier in the month.

Checked in this morning and the xfer is complete! That was FAST and wonderful!

I have a 'spare' checking account at Huntington, and every time we use the NFCU Visa card, I xfer that amount from my primary Huntington checking to my spare Huntington checking. It's easy, and then when the statement comes, the funds to pay it off are all right there and ready to send.

Plus, I xferred my cash back for the month to my NFCU savings account. Yay!

Starting Score: EQ 607 TU 693
Current Score: EX myFICO 750 - EQ myFICO 792 - TU08 (via Discover) 745 - TU myFICO 745
Goal Score: 800+ across the board!
Valued Contributor
Scupra

09Lexie wrote:
Congratulations on your approval! Looks like all that gardening paid off. Time to turn back to a seedling. :smileywink:

Haha, nice hint there :smileywink:

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
687 EQ FICO 12/2014
680 TU FICO 12/2014
673 EX FICO 12/2014
$14k NFCU Platinum - $25k NFCU cashRewards Sig - $15k NavChek - $6k Barclay Arrival WEMC - $5k Cap1 Quicksilver - $2.2k Amazon Store - $10k Cap1 VentureOne

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}