cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First real success story- Thanks to you guys!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First real success story- Thanks to you guys!

Hi all! This is only my second post here, but I've been lurking for well over a year. I just wanted to share a success story and lessons learned from these forums.

My current situation is 4 baddies with 4-18 months before they drop off. I have a FICO EQ of 630 and FAKO's EX 588, TU 628. I've got an Orchard card ($200 limit, 1.4 years) and a First Premier ($300, 8mos). Very much 'training wheel' cards, but they were important for payment history, which I learned here on the forums.

So, having crossed the 1 year AAoA boundary, I decided it was time to try for credit that was a little less 'sub-prime' Smiley Very Happy 

I had relatively low expectations, so first I applied for the Hooters card. Got a 7-10 day message; still waiting on that one. Then decided I could live with one more hard pull (can you live with the decision for two years, I asked myself, having learned that lesson here, on the forums) and decided to apply for the Amazon.com Visa.

I danced around the living room when I got an instant approval ... for $2,000!

And I'd be dancing even more today (if I didn't have the flu) because that was just the temporary limit: The official limit is $3,200!

I know some of you credit jedi would be unhappy with that, but honestly, I didn't expect anything like a ten-fold increase over my next highest card.

So thanks to all the helpful, conscienscious posters here. Sharing your advice and experiences has really made a difference for me, and probably countless other lurkers Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Karatz
Frequent Contributor

Re: First real success story- Thanks to you guys!

Nice! Keep developing your better habits and keep em.
TransUnion/Equifax
746/754
Date: 9/24/2009/10/02/2009
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's the way to get a Friday morning started out right! Smiley Happy

BIG congratulations! Your hard work is paying off.

Message 3 of 15
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Congrats!!! Those are the steps that count.  In the beginning...apping for what you can get, not what you want.  What you want can come later.

Those are cards that can grow with you too!  So that is also a good, smart move!  Congrats again on the new addition to your CC family!!! 

* I remember the day I got my first "prime" card....I cried! Smiley Happy

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 15
betax
New Contributor

Congrats!

I just applied also, Got an instant approval on the amazon visa. I got a temp limit of 500. not sure who they pulled? TU 660 EQ 667

Chris

Message 5 of 15
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all! This is only my second post here, but I've been lurking for well over a year. I just wanted to share a success story and lessons learned from these forums.

My current situation is 4 baddies with 4-18 months before they drop off. I have a FICO EQ of 630 and FAKO's EX 588, TU 628. I've got an Orchard card ($200 limit, 1.4 years) and a First Premier ($300, 8mos). Very much 'training wheel' cards, but they were important for payment history, which I learned here on the forums.

So, having crossed the 1 year AAoA boundary, I decided it was time to try for credit that was a little less 'sub-prime' Smiley Very Happy 

I had relatively low expectations, so first I applied for the Hooters card. Got a 7-10 day message; still waiting on that one. Then decided I could live with one more hard pull (can you live with the decision for two years, I asked myself, having learned that lesson here, on the forums) and decided to apply for the Amazon.com Visa.

I danced around the living room when I got an instant approval ... for $2,000!

And I'd be dancing even more today (if I didn't have the flu) because that was just the temporary limit: The official limit is $3,200!

I know some of you credit jedi would be unhappy with that, but honestly, I didn't expect anything like a ten-fold increase over my next highest card.

So thanks to all the helpful, conscienscious posters here. Sharing your advice and experiences has really made a difference for me, and probably countless other lurkers Smiley Happy

Congratulation on a nice approval! Take good care of that card!

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome! 

Congrats!

Message 7 of 15
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I know some of you credit jedi would be unhappy with that,

After my BK many years ago I would have been dancing just like you.  Congratulations!!

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!  I started my road to recovery with that exact same Orchard card and CL.  I'm still not where I want to be but I seem to have all the prime cards people talk about as well as the hot CU cards.  The next step is higher scores so I can get the lowest APR tier offered.  Keep up all your great work!!

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, all!

Chris, for me they pulled TU. I checked on the creditboards database first to see who they might pull; about half the time they pull TU, but it could have been any of the three. So now my TU has three hard pulls total, EX 2, EQ none. I can live with it Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.