Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners

First real success story- Thanks to you guys!

Hi all! This is only my second post here, but I've been lurking for well over a year. I just wanted to share a success story and lessons learned from these forums.

My current situation is 4 baddies with 4-18 months before they drop off. I have a FICO EQ of 630 and FAKO's EX 588, TU 628. I've got an Orchard card ($200 limit, 1.4 years) and a First Premier ($300, 8mos). Very much 'training wheel' cards, but they were important for payment history, which I learned here on the forums.

So, having crossed the 1 year AAoA boundary, I decided it was time to try for credit that was a little less 'sub-prime' Smiley Very Happy 

I had relatively low expectations, so first I applied for the Hooters card. Got a 7-10 day message; still waiting on that one. Then decided I could live with one more hard pull (can you live with the decision for two years, I asked myself, having learned that lesson here, on the forums) and decided to apply for the Amazon.com Visa.

I danced around the living room when I got an instant approval ... for $2,000!

And I'd be dancing even more today (if I didn't have the flu) because that was just the temporary limit: The official limit is $3,200!

I know some of you credit jedi would be unhappy with that, but honestly, I didn't expect anything like a ten-fold increase over my next highest card.

So thanks to all the helpful, conscienscious posters here. Sharing your advice and experiences has really made a difference for me, and probably countless other lurkers Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

Re: First real success story- Thanks to you guys!

Nice! Keep developing your better habits and keep em.
TransUnion/Equifax
746/754
Date: 9/24/2009/10/02/2009
Moderator Emerita

That's the way to get a Friday morning started out right! Smiley Happy

BIG congratulations! Your hard work is paying off.

-------------------------------------------

Friendly, Supportive & Respectful

Understanding Your FICO Score  |  Credit Scoring 101  |  Common Abbreviations  |  FTC: FCRA Links  |  FTC: FDCPA Links  |  Opt-Out  |  State Resources

"However gradual may be the growth of confidence, that of credit requires still more time to arrive at maturity” ~ Benjamin Disraeli

Senior Contributor

Congrats!!! Those are the steps that count.  In the beginning...apping for what you can get, not what you want.  What you want can come later.

Those are cards that can grow with you too!  So that is also a good, smart move!  Congrats again on the new addition to your CC family!!! 

* I remember the day I got my first "prime" card....I cried! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 02/2015 TU 709 - EQ 676 - EX 729
Current Score: 07/2015 TU 730 - EQ 699 - EX 724
Goal Score: 850

Bury me in the garden...last app 08.09.15

Established Member

Congrats!

I just applied also, Got an instant approval on the amazon visa. I got a temp limit of 500. not sure who they pulled? TU 660 EQ 667

Chris

Senior Contributor

MercerMachine wrote:

Hi all! This is only my second post here, but I've been lurking for well over a year. I just wanted to share a success story and lessons learned from these forums.

My current situation is 4 baddies with 4-18 months before they drop off. I have a FICO EQ of 630 and FAKO's EX 588, TU 628. I've got an Orchard card ($200 limit, 1.4 years) and a First Premier ($300, 8mos). Very much 'training wheel' cards, but they were important for payment history, which I learned here on the forums.

So, having crossed the 1 year AAoA boundary, I decided it was time to try for credit that was a little less 'sub-prime' Smiley Very Happy 

I had relatively low expectations, so first I applied for the Hooters card. Got a 7-10 day message; still waiting on that one. Then decided I could live with one more hard pull (can you live with the decision for two years, I asked myself, having learned that lesson here, on the forums) and decided to apply for the Amazon.com Visa.

I danced around the living room when I got an instant approval ... for $2,000!

And I'd be dancing even more today (if I didn't have the flu) because that was just the temporary limit: The official limit is $3,200!

I know some of you credit jedi would be unhappy with that, but honestly, I didn't expect anything like a ten-fold increase over my next highest card.

So thanks to all the helpful, conscienscious posters here. Sharing your advice and experiences has really made a difference for me, and probably countless other lurkers Smiley Happy

Congratulation on a nice approval! Take good care of that card!

Senior Contributor

Awesome! 

Congrats!

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator

09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549
Moderator Emeritus

I know some of you credit jedi would be unhappy with that,

After my BK many years ago I would have been dancing just like you.  Congratulations!!

New Contributor

Congrats!  I started my road to recovery with that exact same Orchard card and CL.  I'm still not where I want to be but I seem to have all the prime cards people talk about as well as the hot CU cards.  The next step is higher scores so I can get the lowest APR tier offered.  Keep up all your great work!!

Thanks, all!

Chris, for me they pulled TU. I checked on the creditboards database first to see who they might pull; about half the time they pull TU, but it could have been any of the three. So now my TU has three hard pulls total, EX 2, EQ none. I can live with it Smiley Happy

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.