MrBrave31

First time FICO score check, BOA product change?

I just checked my FICO scores for the first time ever:

FICO Scores: TU=755  EQ=774  EX=775

Main negative reason was lack of credit history (7 years longest, 4 year average)

My question is can I switch from a regular Mastercard (not platinum or rewards or any bells and whistles) from BOA to a WorldPoints Mastercard for BOA? And, if I do a product switch does that just change the account number but it doesn't show as a new card or new inquiry or affect my score negatively, and I keep the same length and history? Thanks everyone.
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

Re: First time FICO score check, BOA product change?

Well, first of all, welcome, and serious congratulations on the nice scores!

I have read that you can do a "product change" with BofA and keep the history. I would definitely confirm that on the phone and get the name and employee number of the person who tells you that. :smileywink:

Your negative comment comes mainly from the fact that there's nothing else negative on your reports. In terms of comparing you to the big boys, typical length of history is 19 years and average is 6 - 12 years. Keep everything clean, and you'll be over 800 in a few more years.

Here's a list of the characteristics of those with scores over 780:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=ficoscoring&thread.id=12673
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
MrBrave31

Thanks for the kind words and advice. I think these forums are great!
Frequent Contributor
greyhound2007

You will keep the original opening date on a product change, only difference will be the cc number and your new card.  You will use your card you have until the new one arrives.  We have done several product changes with our two BoA CC accounts.  The world points is a great card I already have almost 5000 points since 1st of dec.  Good Luck .. Tks Vicki
~We'll Never Say Goodbye~
In Loving Memory
Of All Lost Mothers

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+