cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time I had to call Amex customer service for an issue...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First time I had to call Amex customer service for an issue...

Here's my take on this, for what it's worth. I have carried an amex platinum for more  years than I'd like to think about. Moreso than other card companies, I view them as a partner, or somewhat like a spouse, if you like. So, just as in anything, if I am doing things that worry my partner, I try to alleviate the issue and soothe the concern.  In your case, I cannot see what is to be gained by standing your ground. I think the reply I would have given, and in fact have done in a similar situation, is to pay the bill immediately and build the trust that makes for a good partnership.

With Amex charge cards, I have found it best always to be able to pay, regardless of whether you owed 100 or 100K. I keep this in mind always.

I am not faulting you as you have every right to do what you did. But the underlying message you conveyed to Amex was that you did not have the money now, but you'll have it in two days. 

The NPSL is the upside, but it's a partner thing, earned over time.

Message 21 of 23
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Here's my take on this, for what it's worth. I have carried an amex platinum for more  years than I'd like to think about. Moreso than other card companies, I view them as a partner, or somewhat like a spouse, if you like. So, just as in anything, if I am doing things that worry my partner, I try to alleviate the issue and soothe the concern.  In your case, I cannot see what is to be gained by standing your ground. I think the reply I would have given, and in fact have done in a similar situation, is to pay the bill immediately and build the trust that makes for a good partnership.

With Amex charge cards, I have found it best always to be able to pay, regardless of whether you owed 100 or 100K. I keep this in mind always.

I am not faulting you as you have every right to do what you did. But the underlying message you conveyed to Amex was that you did not have the money now, but you'll have it in two days. 

The NPSL is the upside, but it's a partner thing, earned over time.

+1

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 22 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to read about this bad situation with Amex. I agree with you op. If you've clearly charged more in the past and you were never late and this came before your due date 2 days or 10 You shouldn't have to walk out the door with a card you're wondering if it's going to work.
Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.