cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time I had to call Amex customer service for an issue...

tag
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

First time I had to call Amex customer service for an issue...

And I have to say I'm not impressed at all. 

So I have a PRG I opened in February of this year. I've been using it reguarly, charging anwhere from $350 to $2,000 on the card every month. I pay my balance due on the due date, and of course, always in full. I schedule the payments online as soon as the statement cuts, becuase I am VERY forgetful of these things, and don't want to get myself in trouble with my new friend, Amex. 

So tonight I'm trying to book my labor day vacation flight on Southwest.com, and for the first time ever, my PRG is declined. I immediately got an email, and a notifaction from the Amex app on my phone with a number to call, which I did. After 15 minutes of hold music (one song I recognized as an instrumental of "Sway" from the movie, American Pie, but I digress...) I finally get to speak with someone.

The CSR tells me the charge was declined because it would bring my statement balance, plus current balance to $2,800, which they were not comfortable with. He asked me to make a payment then and there. I said "No, you'll get your payment on August 6th, when it's due." The customer service rep said, "Oh, I didn't see that scheduled payment. I think we can go ahead and approve this charge, since you've already setup payment arrangements. Go ahead and use your card for the purchase, just give us 15 minutes to make some changes." I told him, "Great. FYI, if the card does not work a second time, I will not be calling back a second time. I'll use another card." 

So I wait half an hour, then try my purchase again. Still declined. This time, no app notification, no email. Pretty sure they've shut off my charging privileges. I'm not going to bother to find out, and ended up using my Blispay for the $575 charge (I know, my spending is #OutOfControl Smiley LOL) 2% cashback and 6 months of 0% APR beats 3x Memberpeso Rewards points in my book any day. 

I've previouslt ran the card up to about $2,200 in one statement cycle, and added another $1,100 on top of that, so I'm not sure what their problem is. This is after being previously approved for up to $5,000 of spend on the card as recently as a few days ago - I remember because I checked to make sure the card would cover my flights, hotel, rental car, and food. Guess the amount truly does change on a daily basis. 

This, coupled with the paltry limits on my revolvers is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Seriously considering cancelling the PRG after the 1st of the year, and defintiely cancelling the $500 EveryDay they've saddled me with. Smiley Mad 

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First time I had to call Amex customer service for an issue...

it's mind boggling that they didnt even let you charge 2k+ on your card....that's really strange. You had the card since Feb too so you also already have a couple on time payment patterns under your belt as well, it's not like youre doing this on the very first day of receiving the card (and even if you did, it shouldnt be a problem). 

Message 2 of 23
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

I've called regular Amex CS for my revolvers.. not really impressive, definitely offshoreed as far as the call center.

I have also called cs for my Platinum. Totally different experience. I think that Pooka had mentioned that Platinum CS is based in Ft.Lauderdale.... 

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fltireguy wrote:

I've called regular Amex CS for my revolvers.. not really impressive, definitely offshoreed as far as the call center.

I have also called cs for my Platinum. Totally different experience. I think that Pooka had mentioned that Platinum CS is based in Ft.Lauderdale.... 

I have only called for my corporate card and the service has always been excellant.  But I don't think in the OP instance the customer service is the problem.  Seems like for some reason their computers think they are a risk.  I guess that is the bad thing about these cards.  I tried 10k on the spend checker and it said it would be approved.   I wonder if this isn't valid accross the board.  

Message 4 of 23
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

On top of all that, being the human element into it, its possible after telling the CSR that if it doesnt work second time you wont call back and use another card probably rubbed the csr wrong and decided not to accept the second try. Sometimes if you catch a person on the wrong day or them just being unprofessional it can happen. Sorry DeeBee.
Message 5 of 23
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@fltireguy wrote:

I've called both before and while the "regular" CSRs in my experiences were fine no complaints really the Platinum CSRs are defintely more helpful for customers. But even then as AJC points out sometimes you just catch someone on a bad day it happens unfortunately.

Message 6 of 23
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I'm not sure how surprised to be.

On one hand, $2,800 isn't that much compared to other spending on the card, or the $5,000 spending check.

On the other, a $500 ED suggests they've had some major concerns with OP's credit, and it might not take much to tighten the strings on PRG.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

I'm not sure how surprised to be.

On one hand, $2,800 isn't that much compared to other spending on the card, or the $5,000 spending check.

On the other, a $500 ED suggests they've had some major concerns with OP's credit, and it might not take much to tighten the strings on PRG.

Also statement came out a couple of weeks ago and hasn't been payed yet.   Seems like paying the balance would be the easiest thing to do as it due in a couple of days anyway.  

Message 8 of 23
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I'm not sure why they have the tight spending caps either. Years and years ago when I got my first charge card I didn't have any problems with large purchases right off the bat even though my total revolving lines with all lenders were probably only about $10-12k total, and I know you're well beyond that.

As for the customer service, I always had great experiences in the past but I have read a lot of reports that the "lower-tier" (and I don't mean that in an insulting manner, just Amex's perception) card service has declined. I have been fortunate that when I've called in more recent times I got the top notch support in the Florida Platinum/Centurion call center.
Message 9 of 23
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

I've previouslt ran the card up to about $2,200 in one statement cycle, and added another $1,100 on top of that, so I'm not sure what their problem is. This is after being previously approved for up to $5,000 of spend on the card as recently as a few days ago - I remember because I checked to make sure the card would cover my flights, hotel, rental car, and food. Guess the amount truly does change on a daily basis. 

This, coupled with the paltry limits on my revolvers is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Seriously considering cancelling the PRG after the 1st of the year, and defintiely cancelling the $500 EveryDay they've saddled me with. Smiley Mad 

I guess OP has multiple Amex revolvers, so the $500 CL ED isn't the only revolver, and maybe not as much of a warning sign as I first thought. I'll wait to hear what the CLs are on the others.

Also, I think the "Check Spending Power" button only works one charge at a time. Amex might have been willing to approve one large transaction (and that would be it until OP made a payment) but unwilling to approve all of a series of smaller transactions without a payment.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.