Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time late with Capital One

tag
rodney0126
Established Member

First time late with Capital One

My wife, due to my negligence, paid her capital one card after 3pm on the due date and I called to verify....they consider it late.  Since this is the first time since she opened it (about 2 and a half years ago) she has been late.  Does anyone know if it would be worth her time to call them and ask  Is them NOT to report it as late so as to not hurt her credit score?   If it's worth a shot...does anyone know a backdoor number that she could call so she wouldn't have to talk to some out sourced Customer Service Rep.  in another country that won't budge?  I don't know when they report, but it was due Feb. 1 and I paid it about 9 pm that night because I forgot.  It shows authorized on the due date, but not posted until today (2-2-10) with a late fee imposed.  I assume if she doesn't call it will be reported as a late payment on her credit report. 

Any advice and phone number to call would be greatly appreciated.

All 3 Fico scores 800+
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First time late with Capital One

I believe an item has to be >30 days late to be reported late to the CB. I think youre ok unless the account goes >30 days late.
Message 2 of 10
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

You can call and ask for them to forgive the late fee since this is the first time.  That may or may not work.  If it doesn't I wouldn't overwork it.  Pay the late fee and consider it a lesson learned.  There will be no impact on your credit score as already noted.
Message 3 of 10
mgs2010
Regular Contributor

you wont be reported as late. Capital One, and many other CCCs only report late if you are 2 bills behind. I missed a couple capital one payments a few years ago and the rep in customer service informed me that if you miss a payment your next statement will show a past due balance, the late fee, and the current bill. If you don't pay that statement by the due date THEN you are reported to the bureaus.
Message 4 of 10
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

The other posters are correct.  Being late by a few hours is not going to be reported.

Call and be very humble and apologetic and totally own up to your mistake, and grovel a little bit by saying you're trying so hard to keep the account and all accounts in great standing and you feel bad for having fumbled this one, and ask if there's any way they can reverse the late fee.  They should readily agree to it and you may or may not have to hear a mini-lecture about how to pay bills on time; just thank them for their help if they do that..  As long as you are not overlimit or anything like that (and I assume that's not the case.)  I have done this and it has never failed.  I can't think of any card company that said no (as long as you don't do it more than once every six months or maybe once per year.)

Good luck!

The number to call would be whatever is on the statement or the card.  I'll look up mine for you although that may or may not apply to your wife's account (probably will, and the worst that can happen is they'll tell you they can't find the account, but this should work):  1-800-903-3637  Just ask to speak to a representative.

Hmm... the website says:  1-800-955-7070  so there's another number to try.

Message Edited by ChesterPDexter on 02-02-2010 03:56 PM
Message Edited by ChesterPDexter on 02-02-2010 03:59 PM
Established Member

I was late a week on my bill from Capital one also.  I just wrote an email to them explaining I just got back from a vacation and forgot to post the bill ahead of time.  Plus I am in the process of rebuilting my credit history .. blah blah... .  They email me back a day later saying your forgiven.. I love them

Message 6 of 10
rodney0126
Established Member

Ok, so even though it posted 1 day late it won't be reported to the credit bureaus as late and it won't hurt her score. I appreciate the quick response by all.  My credit score improved enough over the last year and a half thanks to this forum that we was able to get a house using just my credit score and got it at 5.125% with an FHA loan.  As everyone else my goal is 800+ last time I checked I'm now 701 with Equifax (down from 715 before the house loan) and 697 down from 715 with Transunion (before the house loan).  That was back in October.

Thanks again to all who helped!

All 3 Fico scores 800+
Message 7 of 10
DI
Super Contributor

I think Capital One is still the last bank to not penalize one by raising the rate for being late.  But that  may have changed.  I'll investigate. 
Message 8 of 10
jj10939
Regular Contributor

I did the same thing once and they took the fee off.  I have always maintained the account in perfect standing.  Call 1-800-889-9939.  This number is the only reason I still have a Capital One card.  This number will get you right to a senior account supervisor who is American and very friendly and they are always eagar to help with anything you need.

I don't even use the number on the back of my card due to the outsourced customer service who have essentialy no power to do anything but read what is on their screen.

This was the number I used to request CLI's with and they were always granted before they changed their policy not letting cardholders request.

Hope this helps.  Good Luck!

Message 9 of 10
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

@mgs2010 wrote:
you wont be reported as late. Capital One, and many other CCCs only report late if you are 2 bills behind. I missed a couple capital one payments a few years ago and the rep in customer service informed me that if you miss a payment your next statement will show a past due balance, the late fee, and the current bill. If you don't pay that statement by the due date THEN you are reported to the bureaus.

Aha!!!  So that explains why my old Cap 1 card (with lates strung throughout 03) dropped my Mar & Apr/30 & 60 day lates in January this year!!!

That totally makes sense!  Smiley Happy  Something told me they weren't just being nice!!!

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.