Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time this has ever happened to me

tag
IrishPM
Frequent Contributor

First time this has ever happened to me

So, I became a member of the Chase credit card family last summer after ignoring their offers for the last 25 years or so because I was happy with the banks and lenders I had credit card accounts with. Over the years, I've steadily built up a solid payment history (never late or missed payments) even though there were times I maxed out a few cards but always brought the balances down below 10% within a few months (moving expenses, tuition, books, etc) after making the charges and more importantly paying them off within 6 months or so. I rarely hold a balance on my credit cards but there are times I do if I travel for work and use my cards for airline, hotel, rental car and food...then my company reimburses me.

Here's the card offers from Chase that I applied for and their original credit line: Chase Amazon Visa ($3k), Chase United Mileage Explorer Plus Visa Signature ($7k) and Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa Signature Card ($6k).

However, I opened up my Chase online account and noticed something that kind of surprised me. My Southwest card went from a credit line of $6k to $3.5k and the Chase United card from $7k to $1,600. The Amazon card stayed the same at $3k. My reason for visiting the Chase site was to pay off the United and Southwest cards so all three would then have a zero balance. I called a CSR to ask for an explanation regarding the credit line being lowered for these accounts and she told me that as a customer, they do a regular review every 3 months (quarterly) of every account across the board of every Chase credit card member and my utilization was getting close to 30% and that their "risk model" triggered them to lower my credit limits on 2 of the 3 cards. I explained to the CSR that it's only a temporary hike in my utilization because of charging my moving expenses over the last few months but I will be reimbursed and will pay off the cards at that time. With my explanation, she didn't budge...the only thing she offered is that once I get the utilization down below 20%, they will do another review of my credit report and accounts and decide then whether or not to raise my credit line to it's original amount...either that, or I could call and request an increase if I'm under the 20% utilization. No guarantees.

Moral of the story is this....because I was close to the magical 30% utilization number, Chase lowered my credit line that in turn basically lowered my credit score even further because my outstanding credit card debt divided by my available credit line (now decreased) raised my utilization percentage again ....cc debt/avaliable credit line=utilization percentage. In other words, Chase lowered my available credit line by an additional $8,400 and bumped my utilization up an additional 10% so now I'm sitting closer to 40% instead of just slightly under 30%. What I've vowed to do is pay off every single credit card I have in the next 2 months and it's doable. I believe it's also time to part company with Chase due to the rigid policy they have with utilization. Citi, Wells Fargo, American Express, Barclays and Capital One have never lowered my credit line on any card and I've managed to get my utilization upwards of 50% at times because of moving expenses or job related expenses but I've always been quick to pay the debt off within 30 to 45 days.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Re: First time this has ever happened to me

That's interesting, but not entirely unexpected.  On the other side of things, I was at 33% of my CL for my freedom card and got a CLI of $1k.  Maybe that was before a period of review and I got lucky.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 2 of 11
user5387
Valued Contributor

My basic rule of thumb is to carry balances only in safe places -- typically CUs.

Doing it this way lowers AA risk and saves on interest.

Message 3 of 11
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

They seem to do that if you carry a balance it sucks because most of the time when they raise it back up they don't go back to where you started. 

Message 4 of 11
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Sorry this happened to you.  Have you acquired all 4 cards w/ Chase in the past 12months?

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 5 of 11
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

I'm sorry that happened to you, OP! But thank you for the headsup. I'm planning to put some big charges on a couple of cards this summer and had no idea Chase would panic over something as low as 30% util! I thought I'd have to go over 50 or 60 and stay there a while before anyone would worry.

Message 6 of 11
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

I'm sorry that happened to you, OP! But thank you for the headsup. I'm planning to put some big charges on a couple of cards this summer and had no idea Chase would panic over something as low as 30% util! I thought I'd have to go over 50 or 60 and stay there a while before anyone would worry.

I also want to add this thread for reference: 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Chase-closed-most-of-my-credit-cards/m-p/2886324/highli...

It seems that 4 Chase apps within a 12 month period seems cause the triggering effect for AAs & CLDs (and now the new info based on OPs experience). Several people on other forums had the same issue after putting in 4 chase apps within a year.  

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 7 of 11
newUser0
Established Contributor

My current chase stats as follows

1, United Explored 4967 Bal Out of $5K Limit

2, CSP 4800 Balance of $5K Limit

3. Freedom $9 K Bal on 5.5K limit.

How much should I be worried? Transfer all UR points?

Message 8 of 11
IrishPM
Frequent Contributor

Yes...I got the Southwest Airlines and Amazon card in August and September resepectively. The Chase United Signature card was an app I filled out to take advantage of their intro 30,000 mile award for a flight I booked on United in November 2013.

I was more concerned about Chase's decision to lower my credit limit because it will affect my utilization in real time and the other credit card companies may look at that as a "sign" for them to do the same thing. A good example of what I'm talking about is I made a recent move to another state and spread out all my expenses on a total of 6 cards....food, gas, , flights, utilities, moving company, hotels, storage, boxes, etc....the total amount was high ($25,000) if you look at it at face value and all the expenses are reimbursable through my employer...but the credit card company doesn't look at it that way. They only see the debt you've racked up and get the jitters if you go over a certain utilization percentage of available credit and could care less if it's temporary or not. My intent is to pay all my balances off in 30 to 45 days when the checks start rolling in from my expense reports rather than take it out of savings.  

I just find it odd that they'd lower my credit line sooner rather than later since I have a 22 year credit history with no lates or missed payments.

Message 9 of 11
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@newUser0 wrote:

My current chase stats as follows

1, United Explored 4967 Bal Out of $5K Limit

2, CSP 4800 Balance of $5K Limit

3. Freedom $9 K Bal on 5.5K limit.

How much should I be worried? Transfer all UR points?

pay those things off! Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.