cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Five accounts closed and counting............

tag
Ford725
Established Contributor

Five accounts closed and counting............

Well after my mini app spree last week, decided I needed to start closing 

some cards that were no longer serving a purpose toward my goals. My goals

are to make room for major cards and fewer store cards going forward. With Synchrony

I also wanted to free up limit space for my new Ebates and Stash accounts. Here are 

my closures so far:

Credit One $750 limit - Rep tried to offer me a $25 account credit not to close.......yeah right. Smiley LOL

Kohls $700 limit - Been stuck at this limit for awhile. Decided it served its purpose. 

BP Gas Card $3500 - Hardly used as there are no BP stations near me at all.

Paypal Smart Connect - $4800 - Once I got Ebates no longer needed this one.

JCP $6000 - I could do without and use my Ebates here too.

That's it so far. If you guys have any suggestions on others let me know. 

Im thinking about closing my $1,000 partially secured Capital One MC and Overstock. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Current Scores: FICO08 670 EQ, FICO08 703 TU, FICO08 661 EX
Goal Score: 700's all 3 (07/2016)
Walmart $6k | Chevron $4k | Firestone $2.2k | Capital One Venture $5.4k | Quicksilver One MC $1.3k | Capital One Platinum MC $1k | Bloomingdales $12k | Amazon Prime $6k | Ebates Visa $12k | The Gap Visa $7k | Banana Republic Visa $7 | Brylane Home $2.6k | Express $2.5k | Overstock $1.85k | Macy's $11.3k | Stash Visa $12k | Lowe's $12k | Care Credit $5k | Macy's Amex $2.1k | Chase Amazon Visa $.5k | Cabela's Club Visa $2k
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Five accounts closed and counting............

@Ford725 wrote:

Well after my mini app spree last week, decided I needed to start closing 

some cards that were no longer serving a purpose toward my goals. My goals

are to make room for major cards and fewer store cards going forward. With Synchrony

I also wanted to free up limit space for my new Ebates and Stash accounts. Here are 

my closures so far:

Credit One $750 limit - Rep tried to offer me a $25 account credit not to close.......yeah right. Smiley LOL

Kohls $700 limit - Been stuck at this limit for awhile. Decided it served its purpose. 

BP Gas Card $3500 - Hardly used as there are no BP stations near me at all.

Paypal Smart Connect - $4800 - Once I got Ebates no longer needed this one.

JCP $6000 - I could do without and use my Ebates here too.

That's it so far. If you guys have any suggestions on others let me know. 

Im thinking about closing my $1,000 partially secured Capital One MC and Overstock. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Yea, it doesn't look like you need those store cards anymore. I dunno much about the cap 1 card you have. If you can get it to become unsecured and do SP CLIs with it maybe it is worth keeping. Although I believe there are some cap 1 products that never really grow and if that is the case it can be worth ditching. You have a lot of store cards still and when you app if you are getting denials or low credit lines due to having too much available credit you may want to eliminate some of those larger store cards as well unless you actually use them. Having available credit is a good goal, but the key is to have available credit on cards you actually want to use. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 7
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

@Ford725 wrote:

At first I read that as Capital One and I was really surprised, but then it made more sense when I realized it was Credit One. I get the impression from reading the forums that Credit One is aggressive with retention offers. By contrast Capital One doesn't seem to give a fudge if someone keeps their cards or not.

Message 3 of 7
Ford725
Established Contributor

I know you're probably right, ughhhhh!!! I could off load all three Comenity cards (Express, Brylane Home and Overstock), but I ain't touchin' Macy's and Bloomingdale's. Those 2 are from Citi who trying to build a relationship with. And besides those limits were sent straight from the heavens....... Smiley Very Happy!!!! 

Walmart $6k | Chevron $4k | Firestone $2.2k | Capital One Venture $5.4k | Quicksilver One MC $1.3k | Capital One Platinum MC $1k | Bloomingdales $12k | Amazon Prime $6k | Ebates Visa $12k | The Gap Visa $7k | Banana Republic Visa $7 | Brylane Home $2.6k | Express $2.5k | Overstock $1.85k | Macy's $11.3k | Stash Visa $12k | Lowe's $12k | Care Credit $5k | Macy's Amex $2.1k | Chase Amazon Visa $.5k | Cabela's Club Visa $2k
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're off to a good
Message 5 of 7
Ford725
Established Contributor

For every 1 account that closes at Capital One, about 100,000 more sign up.......Lol.

Message 6 of 7
Ford725
Established Contributor

So I just checked my EX, and my Synch cards (JCP, BP and Smart Connect) are reporting closed already in less than 24 hrs. 

As a result, my EX went up 11 pts..........Smiley Very Happy!!!!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.