cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For all you Amex Delta Skymiles Card Holders....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: For all you Amex Delta Skymiles Card Holders....

travelguru wrote:
I have had the card for almost 3 months with paying the balance off each month in full. I did apply this afternoon for the CLI and requested a $4000 increase to make it an even $5000 limit and to my amazement they approved it instantly. I am very happy that all this advice has really paid off in more ways than one. Does this mean I will get the FR from Amex now that I have this high-limit? I was honest with their questions, and I have nothing to hide, but I am curious. Thanks guys!

Wow Guru!!!  WTG

Message 11 of 20
travelguru
New Contributor

So I am curious since I just received a $4000 CLI a week ago, and don't plan on needing any additional for now, when should I apply for another CLI? I am planning on charging around $3000 a month and I am able to PIF every month. The extra available CL would be great and would increase my scores which are on the way up every month. So I guess what I am asking is when is it safe with American Express for a CLI? Every 30 days, 60 days, or like 6 months? If I asked for another $5000 in a month do you think they would deny this if I just paid off a $3200 balance in full and the rest of my CC have a 1-3% utilization?
Message 12 of 20
travelguru
New Contributor

Anyone out there???
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

You say you dont need the additional cred.  If you PIF every month you can just change the payment date so that your payment arrives before te reporting date so utilization should not be a factor.  You can requst a CLI as often as you want as llong as you dont mind when Amex takes notice of you.
Message 14 of 20
travelguru
New Contributor

So by requesting another CLI in 30 days (if I am approved for it) this would increase my chances of getting the dreaded FR by Amex?
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

there are some that say if you hold an amex your eventually getting an fr, and some who say the user triggers it. it's your call which school of thought you subscribe to. either way good luck!
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

True but repeated request for additional credit as well as opening up new credit accounts in a short period of time have historically resulted in that dreaded red box on the accounts page.
Message 17 of 20
travelguru
New Contributor

Well if I really don't care if Amex does do a FR on me, and I have been charging a large amount monthly and PIF every month, does this increase my chances of receiving another increase? I have a nice income so I was truthful on the application. Just curious.
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

travelguru wrote:
Well if I really don't care if Amex does do a FR on me, and I have been charging a large amount monthly and PIF every month, does this increase my chances of receiving another increase? I have a nice income so I was truthful on the application. Just curious.

Like I said as long s you don't mind them taking notice.  Not worried about the income you reported just curious if it is enough to supposrt your addtional requests for credit as well as any new accoutns you may have opened since applying with them and any subsequent CLIs.

Message 19 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

travelguru wrote:

I'm just an interested bystander in the whole FR thing, but I have read that if you're flirting with it, you should have a non-AmEx card with you at all times in case they freeze up your card(s) all of a sudden. You don't want to look like those poor schmucks on the TV commercials.

No one ever expects the Spanish Inquisition!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.