Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: For any USBank Altitude Cardholders Buying GC's

@Anonymous wrote:
Stop. If you want to keep your card

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2017/05/09/gift-cards-altitude-reserve/

That's not quite what the article says.  It's more of a warning for those buying lots of them and that's true for any credit card.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually didn't say that's what the article said. That is what I said. I could have been more specific and go into detail but I assumed posting the link would do the same thing as me rambling all the details.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I actually didn't say that's what the article said. That is what I said. I could have been more specific and go into detail but I assumed posting the link would do the same thing as me rambling all the details.

Well whether its you stating it or implying that the article stated it, the conclusion (stop if you want to keep tne card) is not entirely correct.  You can buy GCs with the card within reason just like you can with any credit card.

Message 4 of 8
manyquestions
Established Contributor

DoctorofCredit's post is a bit more grim, reporting someone getting shutdown after purchasing only three $500 cards: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/psa-dont-buy-gift-cards-us-bank-altitude-card/

A couple more reports of shutdowns on Flyertalk, but to be fair, if US Bank was closing the card of everyone who purchased a few visa gift cards, there would be dozens of posts rather than a few here and there.  So carry on...

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@manyquestions wrote:

DoctorofCredit's post is a bit more grim, reporting someone getting shutdown after purchasing only three $500 cards: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/psa-dont-buy-gift-cards-us-bank-altitude-card/

A couple more reports of shutdowns on Flyertalk, but to be fair, if US Bank was closing the card of everyone who purchased a few visa gift cards, there would be dozens of posts rather than a few here and there.  So carry on...

The situation that DoC gave is a prime example of someone being stupid with buying GCs but I won't go further because it touches on MS but many card companies monitor purchases much more stringently when a new card comes out to prevent MS.  I remember the same thing happening with the Diner's Club cards when they came out.  A $1000 charge at a drugstore screams 'look at me' to the card company.  Anyways if you have the card (I don't) and want to buy a gift card, do it and be smart about it.  

Message 6 of 8
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@manyquestions wrote:

The situation that DoC gave is a prime example of someone being stupid with buying GCs but I won't go further because it touches on MS but many card companies monitor purchases much more stringently when a new card comes out to prevent MS.  I remember the same thing happening with the Diner's Club cards when they came out.  A $1000 charge at a drugstore screams 'look at me' to the card company.  Anyways if you have the card (I don't) and want to buy a gift card, do it and be smart about it.  

So don't use Altitude to get a refill on the blue pills?  Smiley Embarassed

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

drugs are bad mmkayyyy?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.