cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For current amex cardholders, if applying at costco and declines, still soft pull?

tag
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

For current amex cardholders, if applying at costco and declines, still soft pull?

I'm likely going to need to apply for the costco amex sooner than I planned. I hadn't worried because I knew a rejection would be a soft pull. But then I read that applying on line always generates a pended app while they verify costco membership and that most people recommend applying in store. But my question is this: If I apply in store and I'm rejected, will it still be a soft pull? Or is that only if I apply online while logged in? Ideally, I'm looking for someone who applied in store, got declined and only got a soft pull to confirm this IRL. Or to confirm they got a hard pull. Thanks

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: For current amex cardholders, if applying at costco and declines, still soft pull?

When you apply at store, you are not using your existing AMEX account. My guess is that it will be HP even for denial.

Message 2 of 8
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Re: For current amex cardholders, if applying at costco and declines, still soft pull?

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

I'm likely going to need to apply for the costco amex sooner than I planned. I hadn't worried because I knew a rejection would be a soft pull. But then I read that applying on line always generates a pended app while they verify costco membership and that most people recommend applying in store. But my question is this: If I apply in store and I'm rejected, will it still be a soft pull? Or is that only if I apply online while logged in? Ideally, I'm looking for someone who applied in store, got declined and only got a soft pull to confirm this IRL. Or to confirm they got a hard pull. Thanks

Hey Cdnewmanpac!  

You don't need to be logged in to apply to glean a SP for denial.  The system knows whether you are a member or not based on ss#.  Now with regards to Costco app, I would think that it shouldn't be any different.  You can always call and ask.  I don't see you getting a HP for denial when it is Amex policy to SP for denial.  JMHO

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 3 of 8
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:

Hey Cdnewmanpac!  

You don't need to be logged in to apply to glean a SP for denial.  The system knows whether you are a member or not based on ss#.  Now with regards to Costco app, I would think that it shouldn't be any different.  You can always call and ask.  I don't see you getting a HP for denial when it is Amex policy to SP for denial.  JMHO

Actually you DO need to log into your account for AMEX to recongize you as an existing member. I did it once without login to my account (back then I had Zync and was applying for BCE), denied for BCE and HP showed up on my report the very next day.

Message 4 of 8
Mustangfrank
Regular Contributor

I applied in the retail store 45 minutes after I applied for a ZYNC and a BCE on line.

I was approved for both the ZYNC and BCE immediately.

Drove to the store and signed up for a store membership and the credit card together.

I was not approved immediately in the store but I was approved 48 hours later when I checked my status online.

I had one HP for all three cards.

I was instructed to do this step by step by two members on this board.

I had my doubts but it worked just like they said it would.

Amex Zync NPSL 9/12, Amex CostcoTrue Earnings $10K 9/12
Amex BCE $3K 9/12 (Amex Back Dated to 1983)
Chase Sapphire Preferred $17K 11/12, Chase Freedom $7K 11/12
Discover More $750 11/12
CapitalOne Platinum Secured Card 2K 2/12 (Closed 12/12)
FICO: EQ = 804 EX = 802(Amex) TU = 801(Discover)
Message 5 of 8
djrez4
Established Contributor

That is quite a maneuver!

When I applied for the HHonors Amex last week, I intentionally used a Chrome incognito window.  There was no way they could have known I was already a member.  But, it shows up in the same application status page.  I don't know what that means.  This was a very useless post.

Message 6 of 8
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AMEX-APP-ON-OTHER-SITE-NO-LOG-IN/m-p/1559836/highlight/...

A good rule of thumb is new app=HP, but there are many threads like this to support the notion that an app with Amex is a SP for denial regardless if logged in or not.   I'm sorry for your HP Trumpet. Smiley Sad

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 7 of 8
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AMEX-APP-ON-OTHER-SITE-NO-LOG-IN/m-p/1559836/highlight/...

A good rule of thumb is new app=HP, but there are many threads like this to support the notion that an app with Amex is a SP for denial regardless if logged in or not.   I'm sorry for your HL Trumpet. Smiley Sad

I have read instances where the individual was borderline approval and a HP was done on a different CB.  Typically, Amex doesn't even SP for the app.  They use a previous SP to determine eligibility.   Also, there noted cases of  HP for denial with recon.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.