Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No foreign transaction and no annual fee cards

tag
csryang
Frequent Contributor

No foreign transaction and no annual fee cards

Last Updated: 8/20/2017 

I am wondering if you all can help me reach a list of best cards, good for frugal travelers.

I do understand that there are AF cards that offer great bonuses which can offset the AF. I have several of them already.

I am just thinking long term. This is also for those who are lazy to churn cards or to put spend for the initial bonus.
Looking for best personal credit cards with no annual fee, no foreign transaction fee, available to most people, and easy redemption etc

Here's what we come up with (I will update whenever I get some feedback from you):

Everything (none category/general spend) 

PenFed Power Cash - 2% cash back everything (if some easy conditions met(PIN capacity)

Capital One Quicksilver, Discover it Miles, NASA Platinum Cash Rewards - 1.5% cash back everything
Other contenders:

USAA Limitless - 2.5% cash back (need to be a service member or related to one)

Citizens Bank Cash Back - 1.65% cash back (need relationship to apply, 1.8% if redeem back to bank account)
BOA Travel Rewards - 1.5% cash back (1.65% if redeem back to bank account or up to 2.7% back depending on money deposited) (redeem only against travel charges)
USAA Preferred Cash Rewards or NavyFed cashRewards - 1.5% cash back (PIN capacity) (need military status or relationship)

Northrop Grumman Federal Credit Union - 1.5% cash back (limited geography - LA county)

Rotating Categories
Discover it - 5% cash back
Other contenders:

Grocery -

PenFed Platinum Rewards - 3X points (about 2.55% cash back) (PIN capacity) (sometimes visa gift card redemption is not available)

The JetBlue Card - 2X points (about 2-2.8% cash back value for JetBlue flights) (PIN capacity)

Other contenders:

Huntington Voice - 3% back (limited geography)
USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex - 2% cash back (PIN capacity) (up to 3k spend per yr) (need military status or relationship)

Dining -

Capital One Premier Dining Rewards - 3% cash back  

Sam's Club MC - 3% cash back, redeem once a year at Sam's (need Sam's Club membership)

Other contenders:

Barclay Arrival - 2% back (PIN capacity) (such value only when redeem against travel charges) 

The JetBlue Card - 2-2.8% cash back value for JetBlue flights (PIN capacity)

Security Service Power Travel Rewards - 3.3% back (redeem for only gift card) (limited geography)
Huntington Voice - 3% back (limited geography)

NavyFed GoRewards - 3% back (PIN capacity) (need military status or relationship)

Gas
Sam's Club MC - 5% cash back, redeem once a year at Sam's (need Sam's Club membership)
Other contenders:

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (Old Version, not available now) - 5% gas (only at the pump)
Fort Knox FCU Visa - 5% gas (paying gas inside likely not code as gas, not sure FTF) (limited geography)
USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex - 5% cash back (PIN capacity) (up to 3k spend per yr) (need military status or relationship)
Security Service Power Travel Rewards - 3.3% back (redeem for only gift cards) (limited geography)

Travel -  

AAA member rewards visa - 3X (about 3% cash back), min 5k points redemption, 1:1, points expire in 5 years

Barclay Arrival - 2X back (PIN capacity) (such value only when redeem against travel charges) 
Other contenders: 

PenFed Premium Travel Rewards Amex - 5X (about 4.25% back) on airfare only (PIN capacity) (sometimes visa gift card redemption is not available)

First National Bank TravElite - 3X (limited time, not available now)

Security Service Power Travel Rewards - 3.3% back (redeem for only gift card) (limited geography)

As a side note...for international purchases:

Always pay in local currency with your card to avoid Dynamic Currency Conversion 

Best debit cards to get cash at Foreign ATMs with reimbursed ATM fees:

Charles Schwab debit card (no minimum balance with high yield investor account, HARD pull on credit check)

Fidelity CMA checking account debit card (no fee getting ATM cash withdrawals but 1%FTF if used for purchases) 

TD Premier account debit card (need $2500 minimal account balance)(limited geography)

Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: For frugal travelers - no FTF and no annual fee cards

@csryang wrote:

I am just wondering if you all can help me reach a list of best cards, good for frugal travelers

- particularly best cards with no annual feeno foreign transaction fee, and easy for redemption etc

Here's what I come up with (I will update whenever I get good feedback from you):

1.8% Everything - Citizens Bank Cash Back 

Grocery - ?

Restaurant - ?

Gas - ?

Travel - ? 

Other contenders:

Fort Knox FCU Visa - pay gas inside likely not code as gas, not sure FTF

Security Service power - redeem for only gift card

Huntington Voice - 3% Gas, Groceries, Restaurant, or Travel but geographic limitation

The first thing that comes to mind that meets all your stipulations is a Quicksilver Visa. 

1.5% cash back on everything, no FTF, and easy cash back redemption.

$100 bonus for new accounts isn't too bad either for a no-AF card.  Smiley Wink

(Note that I would probably actually apply for Venture, get the even better sign up bonus and 2% the first year, then before the AF is due PC to a Quicksilver)

Message 2 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

well a frugal traveler is going to probably want to get a few cards with sign on bonuses.  but this list you are developing would be for long term or in between opening cards.

Message 3 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

BOA Travel Rewards comes to mind; they're my no-FTF no-AF go-to when I'm travelling internationally. 1.5% back, 1.65% if redeemed into a BOA account, currently offering a $200 bonus with $1000 spend. There's a redemption threshold (I think it's $25) and technically you have to apply the redemption to a travel purchase, but that's never been an issue for me since a huge variety of things count as "travel" for redemption puposes.
Message 4 of 47
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

well a frugal traveler is going to probably want to get a few cards with sign on bonuses.  but this list you are developing would be for long term or in between opening cards.

Well sure - A frugal traveler, if he or she is smart enough, MS or churning credit card bonuses will definitely put them WAY ahead. 

That is not the point of this post.

I just thought that maybe we could build a list of some unique great cards for travelers who are firm with no fee cards with easy redemption.

I do not think this kind of topic was discussed much at all.

Message 5 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I just got back from overseas travel.  So, here are my thoughts:

I took four cards with me (five, if you count Discover,  which has no FTF, but also not widely accepted outside of the US, but I did use it at airport restaurants coming and going)

AAdvantage

Southwest

Quicksilver

Sams Club

Both QS and Sams have no AF.

However, sometimes the AF is worthwhile.  AAdvantage is waived the first year.  But it also pays for Global Entry ($100), which includes TSA PreCheck, and trust me, it is WELL WORTH IT.  (How soon are you travelling?  Make sure you have enough time to apply before going).  Also, AAdvantage has really nice worldwide car rental coverage.  To me, it has a lot of benefits and will have a place in my wallet for a long time.

OP, what airline are you flying? One big reason for my liking the AAdvantage card, is the airlines it gives me access to (Qantas, especially), so if you have a preferred airline or one that you are specifically flying for this trip, even more than the AAdvantage card, look at that airline's card.  Many if not most of them have these same benefits.

Message 6 of 47
Open123
Super Contributor

No fee options for use abroad:

1.  QS - 1.5%.

2.  BofA Travel rewards - best in class when used in conjunctin with Preferred rewards.

3.  CU options - I'm sure there are some, but my knowledge on CU options are limited.

4.  Discover - limited acceptance

5.  Cap One Debit to use with cash back option for foreign currency.

6.  Fid Amex - use for foreign currency at ATMs with all fees reimbursed

A few tips.  Always insist on local currency and refuse home currency (dynamic exchange rubbish).  Never buy currency, but exchange at airport from a Bank ATM, and NOT one of those forex ticket machines.  Always, ALWAYS use a no fee ATM Bank option or cash back after a purchase with a no FTF debit card.

Message 7 of 47
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

1.  QS - 1.5%.

2.  BofA Travel rewards - best in class when used in conjunctin with Preferred rewards.

3.  CU options - I'm sure there are some, but my knowledge on CU options are limited.

A few tips.  Always insist on local currency and refuse home currency (dynamic exchange rubbish).  Never buy currency, but exchange at airport from a Bank ATM, and NOT one of those forex ticket machines.  Always, ALWAYS use a no fee ATM Bank option or cash back after a purchase with a no FTF debit card.

Ive always read that its far better to take out local currency at a bank's ATM once you arrive at your travel destination.  You're saying its better to do an exchange at the airport?

Yes, I should have been more clear.  Use the ATM at the arriving airport (the local currency you want to use), not departing one (USA for me).

Message 8 of 47
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Do you mean Fid Amex (which I think has a 1% FTF and will soon cease to exist) or the Fidelty CMA debit card?

Message 9 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

1.  QS - 1.5%.

Ive always read that its far better to take out local currency at a bank's ATM once you arrive at your travel destination.  You're saying its better to do an exchange at the airport?

Yes, I should have been more clear.  Use the ATM at the arriving airport (the local currency you want to use), not departing one (USA for me).

thanks for the clarification.  Im trying to figure which debit card to use in Australia because NFCU, PenFed and USAA all hit you with international transaction fees for atm withdrawals.

Message 10 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.