tag
csryang
Frequent Contributor

Re: For frugal travelers - no FTF and no annual fee cards

@UncleB wrote:

@csryang wrote:

I think Sams does charge FTF? 

Sam's did away with the FTF on 3/1/2016.  Smiley Very Happy

I see... I did not know that.  It does require a membership (fee) though so it's sort of like having an annual fee. 

Message 21 of 47
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@csryang wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@csryang wrote:

I see... I did not know that.  It does require a membership (fee) though so it's sort of like having an annual fee. 

I agree, for some it might be.  For me, I found that I would actually save enough by shopping there to justify the membership fee even if there were no credit card rewards, so when I do my 'calculating' I don't count the fee against my cash rewards. 

However if you wouldn't shop there anyway then it definitely would be like any other AF.  Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 47
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@csryang wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@csryang wrote:

I agree, for some it might be.  For me, I found that I would actually save enough by shopping there to justify the membership fee even if there were no credit card rewards, so when I do my 'calculating' I don't count the fee against my cash rewards. 

However if you wouldn't shop there anyway then it definitely would be like any other AF.  Smiley Happy

I totally agree with you. I guess I meant to find a list of cards without any yearly fee whether it be annual fee with the card or membership fee which you need to renew yearly. It is just hard deciding which card should be included in this list if we sort of just blur the line of "no AF."  

For example, some cards can easily grant you retention offer offsetting the annual fee each year.

Also, some amex offers on Amex cards provide great values that can offset their AF as well. Not to mention churning bonuses or MS.. etc etc...

@creditfan wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

No fee options for use abroad:

1.  QS - 1.5%.

2.  BofA Travel rewards - best in class when used in conjunctin with Preferred rewards.

3.  CU options - I'm sure there are some, but my knowledge on CU options are limited.

4.  Discover - limited acceptance

5.  Cap One Debit to use with cash back option for foreign currency.

6.  Fid Amex - use for foreign currency at ATMs with all fees reimbursed

A few tips.  Always insist on local currency and refuse home currency (dynamic exchange rubbish).  Never buy currency, but exchange at airport from a Bank ATM, and NOT one of those forex ticket machines.  Always, ALWAYS use a no fee ATM Bank option or cash back after a purchase with a no FTF debit card.

Ive always read that its far better to take out local currency at a bank's ATM once you arrive at your travel destination.  You're saying its better to do an exchange at the airport?

Yes, I should have been more clear.  Use the ATM at the arriving airport (the local currency you want to use), not departing one (USA for me).

give schwab bank a thought, their debit card reimburse all fee worldwide. It's good to withdraw currency at foreign countries

Does anyone know if Schwab bank's checking account is hard or soft pull for opening an account? I heard conflicting stories online.

EDIT: Nevermind. I emailed them and was informed that it will be a hard inquiry on credit report for their checking account.

Message 23 of 47
csryang
Frequent Contributor

bump

Message 24 of 47
csryang
Frequent Contributor

bump again to see if anyone has any suggestions

Message 25 of 47
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Chase AARP is a no fee card with 3% back on restaurants and gas.

InFirst FCU has a no fee card with 4% on gas, 3% on dining, and 2% on groceries, superstores, and wholesale clubs.

Amex Blue Cash Everyday has no fee and gives 3% on groceries and 2% on gas and department stores.

Chase Freedom has no fee and gives 5% on rotating categories.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 26 of 47
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

NASA Platinum Cash Rewards

1.5% cash back

no FTF

Priceline VISA

No FTF

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 27 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if anybody has mentioned this but NFCU Go Rewards has not FTF and gives 3 percent cash back on dinning and has no annual fee.  

Message 28 of 47
red259
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

1.  QS - 1.5%.

2.  BofA Travel rewards - best in class when used in conjunctin with Preferred rewards.

3.  CU options - I'm sure there are some, but my knowledge on CU options are limited.

A few tips.  Always insist on local currency and refuse home currency (dynamic exchange rubbish).  Never buy currency, but exchange at airport from a Bank ATM, and NOT one of those forex ticket machines.  Always, ALWAYS use a no fee ATM Bank option or cash back after a purchase with a no FTF debit card.

Can you elaborate on how this works? Its not a cash advance with fid amex? There aren't other fees for ATM withdrawals in foreign countries? They reimburse you for ATM fees charged by the foreign bank? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 29 of 47
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

1.  QS - 1.5%.

Can you elaborate on how this works? Its not a cash advance with fid amex? There aren't other fees for ATM withdrawals in foreign countries? They reimburse you for ATM fees charged by the foreign bank? 

The thread is over 1 year old, and this was clarfied earlier on.  Open meant the Fidelity CMA debit card, not the no-longer existing Fid Amex which anyway had a 1% FTF

Message 30 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.