Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those of us into travel rewards

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: For those of us into travel rewards

@red259 wrote:

Between Hilton and Marriot which one do you think has a better program?

I've been pondering this as well.

While I prefer Mariotts in general, Hilton has a better program with the Citi Hilton Reserve and Amex cards.  From my perspective, the Mariott cards just don't offer the same value as the Citi and Amex ones.  Also, there are more ways to harvest Hilton points than there are Mariott points, which will result in better value with Hilton, even with their devaluation.

All things being equal, I'd have to go for Hilton, if between the two, when it comes to value.

Message 11 of 28
red259
Super Contributor

Yes, from what I read Hilton is better if your going to get your points through cards. Marriot comes out better if your going to earn status through actual stays etc.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 12 of 28
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Because you have the Freedom and plan on CSP you are started on the UR path. That's fine so stick with it. Transfer partners (direct from Chase) include British Airways, Virgin Atlantic and United as well as Korean Air and Southwest but the last two should not interest you for your travels. Out of the interesting ones Chase offers cards for British Airways and United. Both of those fly out of NYC area. Both have some decent sign up bonuses. Pick one, I would lean for United as they can cover your domestic travels as well. The United cards have some special offers if you walk in a branch, better than you can find online at the moment. 

The other option to consider is to NOT get a co-branded airline card and just focus spend on CSP and Freedom. Transfer out of the UR account when needed for travel but bank points with Chase. 

But wait, I just read your post again, you are looking for programs to join not cards to get. Solid advice is join all of them (airline and hotel) and worry about which one to use later. They will not close your account over next 12 months even of you never use it. I joined all hotel and airline programs. I use some of them and I don't care if they close the inactive ones. You just need to keep the ones you eventually pick to use active by moving a few miles into it once a year (or once every 6 months to be safe). 

Message 13 of 28
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Between Hilton and Marriot which one do you think has a better program?

I've been pondering this as well.

While I prefer Mariotts in general, Hilton has a better program with the Citi Hilton Reserve and Amex cards.  From my perspective, the Mariott cards just don't offer the same value as the Citi and Amex ones.  Also, there are more ways to harvest Hilton points than there are Mariott points, which will result in better value with Hilton, even with their devaluation.

All things being equal, I'd have to go for Hilton, if between the two, when it comes to value.

You're not alone in pondering this question. I'm in the same boat, and although I prefer Marriotts they offer a horrible return from CC spending. Hilton points and status are much easier to achieve via spend, even after the recent devaluation.

You can also earn diamond after only 40k in annual spend, whereas you'd need to push through 180k for Marriott platinum (in addition to the value loss of earning 1cpp return).

Marriott does offer better quaterly promos, but I don't think it's enough to compensate. As someone who only spends 30-40 nights per year in hotels but has a large annual spend, I'm wondering if it'd be better to just swap to Hilton.

Anyone can go with the higher value option simply because it's cheaper/better, but I guess this is what true "loyalty" is about - staying with a particular brand even when (at times) it puts you at a financial disadvantage.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 14 of 28
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

StarAlliance has also a good presence in Europe...but when it comes to redeem miles it is a complete different story. Not sure if UA out of the US is better but from Central Europe on LH or LX I do not recommend it. I have still 400K points that I have tried to use for CCL or FCL tickets but it has been a mission impossible.  Sub booking classes for airmiles are constantly not available and waitlist never gets confirmed. As a former Senator member I have given up and will try to switch to Oneworld as this cannot possibly be any worse here. I could have used my points on LOT and fly via Warsaw to the US Smiley Sad which means flying like 4 hrs longer! I am done with StarAlliance.

Message 15 of 28
HiLine
Blogger

lg8302ch, have you ever tried an award booking service? There are many complicated rules and loopholes in award booking that the "normal" people like us have trouble following sometimes lol 

Message 16 of 28
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@lg8302ch, have you ever tried an award booking service? There are many complicated rules and loopholes in award booking that the "normal" people like us have trouble following sometimes lol 

Preimum cabin space on LH is virtually impossible to find. They do release space in extremely limited quantities, usually 2 weeks in advance but not more.

Some *A partners block access altogether (such as US), so redeeming for F on LH is impossible

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 17 of 28
HiLine
Blogger

I get dizzy from all those European airlines' abbreviations lol 

Message 18 of 28
red259
Super Contributor

I've spent the last few days looking at credit card/airline/hotel/rental car programs and its making my head spin. I bought the film Up in the Air today to help put things into perspective. My favorite quote "There is nothing cheap about loyalty."

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 19 of 28
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@lg8302ch, have you ever tried an award booking service? There are many complicated rules and loopholes in award booking that the "normal" people like us have trouble following sometimes lol 

No, never heard of. I am very curious. Can you recommend anything that would allow award bookings Europe - USA - Europe and use Miles & More miles ? My preference was Swiss but I gave up and every once in a while I had some luck with Lufthansa but not  in the past 2 years. 

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.