cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those that run all bills through their CCs...

tag
getmycreditright
Regular Contributor

For those that run all bills through their CCs...

What's your plan? How do you manage it? I finally have the credit lines that will enable me to do this and I would like to take advantage of the rewards. I get paid bi-weekly, but I'm apprehensive because it seems that I would always have a balance reporting. Your feedback is much appreciated. Smiley Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting Score - 575 (4/10)
Current Score - EQ - 750, TU - 752, EX - 728 11/4/12

Current Cards:
AMEX SPG ($7.5k), Amazon.com Visa ($3k), Discover More ($2k) all since 11/4/12

Fighting the good fight!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Yankeefan
Valued Member

Re: For those that run all bills through their CCs...

Just keep track of your bills and other charges and pay that total amount, less 1% for utilization, two or three days before your statement posts.

Message 2 of 13
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

I do this and honestly its not all that difficult. Util only matters when you're about to apply for new credit, so when you plan to do this just make sure you plan 2 months in advance and pay before the statement cuts. I always have something reporting and average around 20-25% util every month. It hasn't stopped me from getting instant approvals. The other thing to keep in mind is budgeting properly. Because your statement will be large every month, you need to track your spending properly and set aside money for that each paycheck. People who don't do this often find they can't cope when the bill comes showing 4 weeks of charges, simply because they only have one paycheck remaining after they spent too much earlier in the month. If you're the kind who impulsively applies for cards, then this might not work either.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 3 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Pretty much what CS stated.

In my case all of my bills come between the 15th and roughly 25th, so I just simply pay all my cards on the 1st for everything except my Amex and I get easy peasy balance management.  Alternatively what I did pre-Amex non-factoring into revolving utilization in FICO '04 and higher: I simply put all the bills on my everyday card anyway that was always the one I used to keep non-zero, and just pay enough earlier enough to know that I wouldn't cross the theoretical 9% boundary.

It wasn't difficult to accomplish by my working out the dates on the bills and their usual size vs. my card payment dates.

        
Message 4 of 13
getmycreditright
Regular Contributor

I'm not the type to impulsively apply for cards. I had two low limit Capital One cards for the past 5 years and I had my first app spree after gardening for two years and were approved for the cards below.

As far as my bills go, I had wanted to have them automatically paid through my CC so that I wouldn't have to worry about them. The problem with that is I pay all bills that are due two weeks out on the days I receive my paychecks, which would not coincide with the dates for the auto drafts. Should I stay on my normal bill paying routine and just use the CC and then PIF for those amounts? I was really hoping to just have everything on auto pilot, but I guess I'll have to see how it all shakes out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Cards:

Fighting the good fight!
Message 5 of 13
linux007969
Established Contributor

i try and rotate my expences through my cards so i dont have one maxed out. I pay in full each month, and sometimes pay a bit before the statement generates so my utilization goes down and it also makes it affordable since i'm spliting up payments but still payingthe rest in full before the due date to avoid interest charges.I obtain regular credit limit increases on my GE accounts to build good history plus have some extra wiggle room.  I also use quicken to help keep track of everything cuz if i didn't i think i'd go crazy trying to figure out all this on paper or in my head.... lol Smiley Very Happy

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 6 of 13
getmycreditright
Regular Contributor

LOL! I know exactly what you mean.

Current Cards:

Fighting the good fight!
Message 7 of 13
compassion101
Established Contributor

I just let the balances report and pay them 4-5 days before they are due. If I need to apply for some credit it's easy enough to do some advance planning, otherwise I enjoy using the float.

Message 8 of 13
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

In my case, I pay all of my online bills with my US Bank Cash + Visa. One account pays them all.

I budget the monies paid out in my budget program and I wait until I get the statement to pay. I am not currently looking for any new credit and this has not really had any affect on my scores.

The day the satement arrives, I balance against the budget and set the payment to pay one day before it is due.

This so far has worked out very well for me. And the Cash + Visa pays me $125 in rewards every other month.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 9 of 13
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

I know how much rent, cable, car more, insurance and cell phone bill run me

They're gonna get paid as they are necessities before anything else and it's already budgeted in.

Charge it....push payment through. I use different cards depending on when the statement cuts and when I get paid.

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.