cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those who have QS and Venture (for more than 1 year)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

For those who have QS and Venture (for more than 1 year)

Why do you guys have this? 

Just curious about the reasoning. (Citi DC has 2%.) 

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: For those who have QS and Venture (for more than 1 year)

@Anonymous wrote:

Because I like them. V-One has no AF, QS VS has no annual fee either. The regular Venture has an AF, but I like the high CL. I choose to keep them because I don't want to lose 27K in availability. That would dramatically increase my utilization and drive my scores down. I don't care about interest rates because I don't carry balances on them, unless I have a zero percent BT option. I actually have 32k in C One credit lines, if you count my rebuilder cards. So, yes, 5 cards. And I can't qualify for Citi cards, as of yet. Have I helped with your questions?

Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

And...that would only be a problem if cap one DIDNT let you consolidate...?
Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
And...that would only be a problem if cap one DIDNT let you consolidate...?

Not sure what you mean. I haven't consolidated. There is no problem for me. I can consolidate anytime I choose.

Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm saying why pay the annual fee for 2x points for venture when you can have the QS with the same limits?
Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm saying why pay the annual fee for 2x points for venture when you can have the QS with the same limits?

I get what you are saying. I got my 40,000 bonus points and used them to fly, because I met the spend in the first 3mos. Maybe I am premature to this thread because I haven't have my Venture for a full year. AFs are always negotiable, in my experience. I've been pretty successful at either getting them dropped or deferred for another year.

Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't have a Venture, but I do own a Cap1 QS. I keep it because it's one of my oldest TLs and doesn't have an AF. I have a Citi Double Cash too which is my general spend credit card.

Message 7 of 28
TheConductor
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Why Venture instead of Double Cash?  No foreign transaction fee. 

If you spend more than $2000 abroad per year, then the Venture will justify its annual fee versus the Double Cash by saving you the 3% fee the Double Cash charges.

Why Venture instead of the Quicksilver, which also has no FTF?

If you spend at least $11,800 annually on the card (domestically and abroad) you will be earning enough in additional rewards (2% vs 1.5%) to break even or better.

The ideal situation for having the card is to meet at least one of the above criteria, and importantly to incur enough "travel" expenses annually that you can actually redeem the rewards you are earning.

It's not the right card for everyone, but it's right for some.

I'm personally planning to downgrade mine to a Quicksilver when the next AF comes due, as I now have more no-FTF options available in my wallet than I did when I acquired it. But I've earned well more than enough value from the card thus far to justify the $59 I will have paid for its first two years of service.

To sum up: travel cards are valuable if you do in fact travel. If you don't, straight cashback usually wins out.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 8 of 28
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I don't get (in MOST situations) why people love the Venture over a Double Cash/Fidelity Amex/etc. You are just locked into travel redemptions. It is a "travel" card only by marketing unless you count no FTF (which you can get for free with a QS).

To each their own and it works for some people. I just wouldn't be paying $59 for something I can get for free and with zero restrictions on redemption.

Message 9 of 28
Gmood1
Super Contributor

^^^^^

I apped for the Venture for several reasons. I'm going to use that 40,000 miles towards a trip in December. My QS has only a $5K limit. In the end, the Venture will probably be absorbed into the QS within the next year, in order to give me the limit I want on the QS. I think of it as taking the elevator to the floor I want and skipping the stairs. Those Capital one cli request are on the slow side. lol At the rate they are moving it will take me 5 years to hit 20K. Where now I'll hit it in less than a year.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.