Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those who have charge cards only with Amex

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: For those who have charge cards only with Amex

Hi,

Just wanted to update everyone. so far no AA from amex. to this day, i hold only one charge card with them. i decided not to app for any additional amex products for now. I use the charge card every day and pay just before statement closing date. I also keep my utility at 1% across the board with all my CCs and no new apps. i believe this kept cc companies from getting nervous and start messing with my CLs. I even got a CLI from Discover.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

Since Amex is hot topic, I thought it may be helpful to all of us, if all members who hold charge cards only (not co-branded) with amex, update us on Amex's behavior in regards to their accnts. If you had any AA for any trouble with your accnts.  This may help us determine if having a charge acct only is the safest way to go with amex for now.

I'll start first. I have green charge card only. I use it for almost everything. so far no problems with my accnt and no FR or AA. They are softing me every month.

Message Edited by Max09 on 11-10-2008 11:13 AM

Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had a gren card since 2001 (always decline upgrades). In California, I charged about $2-4k a month and PIF. In Wa, hardly anyone takes Amex, so I usually only hit $200 or so a month. No problems. I've occassionally moved balances to Pay Over Time when I've been travelling. Carried balance until I returned home. No problems.

I also have a Amex Blue that used to be an IN:LA....$20k limit. currently around $9k due to dog surgery. Has been as high as 12k and paid off several times. No problem. My credit scores hang around 700.

My DH has a green card that he hardly uses since moving to WA. Last month, he got charged an annual fee for the first time since 2003. Normal annual fee, just wasn't waived.

Message 22 of 28
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

My father has 2 charge cards, Green Personal and Gold Business that I use for everything and 5 Credit Cards, 3 Personal, 2 Business.

The credit cards have all been slashed, over 55k worth of credit over the last year.

Charge card I have only had very little issues with, they use to allow you to charge like 20% higher then your highest previous balance and would only get higher as time went on.

Now they allow you to charge up to the AVERAGE of balances over the last 6 months.

I have had bills fail to pay towards the end of the month because I was over my average balance but I have never been denied at point of sale.

I average about 10k month.

I'm in the process of paying off the 2 business cards that total 7k, so then we will have no debt with amex credit cards and then I think they won't worry about us at all as charge card users. 

Message 23 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have two charge cards and four revolving cards. I've never used any of them, ever. I just got them for their member since advantages. Their limits have never been touched. I will cancel all the charge cards soon to avoid the annual fees. I will reapply with the hope that I can continue to get Amex approvals with EX locked. No problems yet.
Message 24 of 28
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

I have both type of cards but I am responding because I had three charge cards (not counting AU in the household), for a very long time before the revolvers.

I have a wonderful relationship with the company and based on what I read here , I don't know why because I do everything that we are told here not to do.

I mostly pay the charge cards off each month, but occasionally use the extended pay option which causes no issues. At this time I am dealing with a trip flight cancellation issue. I had a credit for the canceled flight in exactly five days from the day they received the paperwork. I am just now sending in the baggage damage claim. Basically the trip will have cost almost nothing just because the flight was canceled; and we all no that is more likely to happen than not.

I think when one has and uses the charge cards, they are more likely to call in with inquires. I believe the record of this contact sets a precedent in how AMEX sees us. I think high profile use of their services, not just spending, shows that we are the type customer that AMEX has always served in the past.

Moving on to the CREDIT CARDS; I have had BLUE and CLEAR for about the past five years. I have large limits and have used as much as fifty percent on BLUE but stay below twenty percent for the past two years.

These cards do not seem to affect the relationship I had before with only the CHARGE CARDS.

I don't think this has offered insight, but as I have said, I just can't figure out why I have no problems. I don't treat them with kid gloves. In fact , I call them and fuss at them some times and they can't be nicer.

Good luck to all other members,

CI

Message 25 of 28
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

I have the Amex Gold Rewards charge card.  Charge about $500 - $600/mo. on everything from soup to nuts.  Always pay before the statement drops.  My CR shows I have never had a balance so except for the AAoA the card is useless as a credit enhancer.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CHARGE_IT wrote:

I have both type of cards but I am responding because I had three charge cards (not counting AU in the household), for a very long time before the revolvers.

I have a wonderful relationship with the company and based on what I read here , I don't know why because I do everything that we are told here not to do.

I mostly pay the charge cards off each month, but occasionally use the extended pay option which causes no issues. At this time I am dealing with a trip flight cancellation issue. I had a credit for the canceled flight in exactly five days from the day they received the paperwork. I am just now sending in the baggage damage claim. Basically the trip will have cost almost nothing just because the flight was canceled; and we all no that is more likely to happen than not.

I think when one has and uses the charge cards, they are more likely to call in with inquires. I believe the record of this contact sets a precedent in how AMEX sees us. I think high profile use of their services, not just spending, shows that we are the type customer that AMEX has always served in the past.

Moving on to the CREDIT CARDS; I have had BLUE and CLEAR for about the past five years. I have large limits and have used as much as fifty percent on BLUE but stay below twenty percent for the past two years.

These cards do not seem to affect the relationship I had before with only the CHARGE CARDS.

I don't think this has offered insight, but as I have said, I just can't figure out why I have no problems. I don't treat them with kid gloves. In fact , I call them and fuss at them some times and they can't be nicer.

Good luck to all other members,

CI

wow, you used the extended pay option and you got no AA? i am not so brave, they keep send me e-mails and letters inviting me to pay over time but i won't do it.  too dangerous. This is my oldest card and I need to keep it.
Message 27 of 28
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

Since Amex is hot topic, I thought it may be helpful to all of us, if all members who hold charge cards only (not co-branded) with amex, update us on Amex's behavior in regards to their accnts. If you had any AA for any trouble with your accnts.  This may help us determine if having a charge acct only is the safest way to go with amex for now.

I'll start first. I have green charge card only. I use it for almost everything. so far no problems with my accnt and no FR or AA. They are softing me every month.

Message Edited by Max09 on 11-10-2008 11:13 AM

I have two AMEX cards in my wallet, a Green Corporate Card for work and a Gold Card.  The Corporate Card is paid directly by my employers and has never appeared on my credit reports.  The Gold Card began as a Green Amex in 1982 and was upgraded to Gold around 1990.  They soft my EX every month (Discover and CITI soft my TU, Wells Fargo softs my EQ, Chase softs my EX).  AMEX has never declined any purchase, and there is no prespecified limit, but recently AMEX did raise the APR on the Sign and Travel.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.