Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those who have charge cards only with Amex

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

For those who have charge cards only with Amex

Hi,

Since Amex is hot topic, I thought it may be helpful to all of us, if all members who hold charge cards only (not co-branded) with amex, update us on Amex's behavior in regards to their accnts. If you had any AA for any trouble with your accnts.  This may help us determine if having a charge acct only is the safest way to go with amex for now.

I'll start first. I have green charge card only. I use it for almost everything. so far no problems with my accnt and no FR or AA. They are softing me every month.

Message Edited by Max09 on 11-10-2008 11:13 AM
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: For those who have charge cards only with Amex

Gold card; still no credit limit on the screen; no other problems; at least six pre-approvals sitting there.

I think AmEx likes it when you play hard to get. Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 28
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Is AMEX a hot topic? Anyway, have a green and gold but hardly use them aymore. I have soured on AMEX and keep them only because my sister is an AU on both cards - and I've have them both for 25+ years.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for your feedback. may I ask why you have soured on amex? i am trying to find out if they are also targeting customers who hold charge accnts only.

@cobra19 wrote:

Is AMEX a hot topic? Anyway, have a green and gold but hardly use them aymore. I have soured on AMEX and keep them only because my sister is an AU on both cards - and I've have them both for 25+ years.

Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

This past August, I converted my Gold to a Blue , as I didin't care to continue paying the annual fee. They gave me a very generous credit line, of 25K. I've been a cardholder since 1991.

I continue to use the Blue card in the same manner I used the Gold. I make "everyday" purchases with it, and PIF at the end of the month. In my lifetime as an Amex cardholder, I've never really charged more than 300-500 per month with them.

Well, ever since my "conversion" Amex has been softing me on Transunion and Experian on a monthly basis. I'm not worried, as I have super low utilization, and 800 scores on both reports right now.....When I had the Gold card, they softed my 1-2x's per year at most.

Whereas none of us are "Safe" in the current credit climate, based on *my* experiences, I think the charge card only Amex members are not bothered as much. Again, I could be wrong, and I'm only basing this on my own experiences.

Message 5 of 28
Scamp
Valued Contributor

Edited to delete my comments b/c I have both a charge and a revolver.

Sorry, OP!

Message Edited by scapegrace13 on 11-14-2008 05:56 PM

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Plat here.  I don't use it that often (3-4 times a year, usually less than $1000 those billing cycles), but no problems.  They're still softing me each month, but that's not new.

With my limited spending on the card, I'd be surprised if I ever heard a peep from them.  There's no credit limit to reduce, I'm paying them an AF, and they still make money on the few transactions I make.

I'm more concerned they'll keep reducing the benefits (like when they eliminated the domestic companion ticket) and keep raising the AF.

Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think they will continue reducing the plat. benefits. they will risk losing all their charge card business customers.

@Anonymous wrote:

Plat here.  I don't use it that often (3-4 times a year, usually less than $1000 those billing cycles), but no problems.  They're still softing me each month, but that's not new.

With my limited spending on the card, I'd be surprised if I ever heard a peep from them.  There's no credit limit to reduce, I'm paying them an AF, and they still make money on the few transactions I make.

I'm more concerned they'll keep reducing the benefits (like when they eliminated the domestic companion ticket) and keep raising the AF.

Message Edited by Max09 on 11-10-2008 02:08 PM
Message 8 of 28
alicias
Established Member

I've had AmEx Blue for just over 2 years.  Three months ago I did a balance transfer to a 0% Visa and the AmEx has been paid off every month since.  My monthly bill dated yesterday says my available credit line is $9,000.

TODAY I view my account activity online and my credit line was reduced to $500.  No mention of this in my bill dated yesterday & no explaination online.  Had I blinked I would have missed it!!

I have filed a complaint asking for my LOC to be restored.  Will let you know what happens. 

Message 9 of 28
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I have an Amex Plat, so far no AA has been taken against me.
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.