Regular Contributor
Max09

For those who have charge cards only with Amex

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Since Amex is hot topic, I thought it may be helpful to all of us, if all members who hold charge cards only (not co-branded) with amex, update us on Amex's behavior in regards to their accnts. If you had any AA for any trouble with your accnts.  This may help us determine if having a charge acct only is the safest way to go with amex for now.

I'll start first. I have green charge card only. I use it for almost everything. so far no problems with my accnt and no FR or AA. They are softing me every month.

Message Edited by Max09 on 11-10-2008 11:13 AM
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

Re: For those who have charge cards only with Amex

Gold card; still no credit limit on the screen; no other problems; at least six pre-approvals sitting there.

I think AmEx likes it when you play hard to get. :smileywink:
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Valued Contributor
cobra19

Is AMEX a hot topic? Anyway, have a green and gold but hardly use them aymore. I have soured on AMEX and keep them only because my sister is an AU on both cards - and I've have them both for 25+ years.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Regular Contributor
Max09

thanks for your feedback. may I ask why you have soured on amex? i am trying to find out if they are also targeting customers who hold charge accnts only.

cobra19 wrote:

Is AMEX a hot topic? Anyway, have a green and gold but hardly use them aymore. I have soured on AMEX and keep them only because my sister is an AU on both cards - and I've have them both for 25+ years.

Regular Contributor
Ishmael109

This past August, I converted my Gold to a Blue , as I didin't care to continue paying the annual fee. They gave me a very generous credit line, of 25K. I've been a cardholder since 1991.

I continue to use the Blue card in the same manner I used the Gold. I make "everyday" purchases with it, and PIF at the end of the month. In my lifetime as an Amex cardholder, I've never really charged more than 300-500 per month with them.

Well, ever since my "conversion" Amex has been softing me on Transunion and Experian on a monthly basis. I'm not worried, as I have super low utilization, and 800 scores on both reports right now.....When I had the Gold card, they softed my 1-2x's per year at most.

Whereas none of us are "Safe" in the current credit climate, based on *my* experiences, I think the charge card only Amex members are not bothered as much. Again, I could be wrong, and I'm only basing this on my own experiences.

Valued Contributor
Scamp

[ Edited ]

Edited to delete my comments b/c I have both a charge and a revolver.

Sorry, OP!

Message Edited by scapegrace13 on 11-14-2008 05:56 PM

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Frequent Contributor
writemikep

Plat here.  I don't use it that often (3-4 times a year, usually less than $1000 those billing cycles), but no problems.  They're still softing me each month, but that's not new.

With my limited spending on the card, I'd be surprised if I ever heard a peep from them.  There's no credit limit to reduce, I'm paying them an AF, and they still make money on the few transactions I make.

I'm more concerned they'll keep reducing the benefits (like when they eliminated the domestic companion ticket) and keep raising the AF.

Regular Contributor
Max09

[ Edited ]

I don't think they will continue reducing the plat. benefits. they will risk losing all their charge card business customers.

writemikep wrote:

Plat here.  I don't use it that often (3-4 times a year, usually less than $1000 those billing cycles), but no problems.  They're still softing me each month, but that's not new.

With my limited spending on the card, I'd be surprised if I ever heard a peep from them.  There's no credit limit to reduce, I'm paying them an AF, and they still make money on the few transactions I make.

I'm more concerned they'll keep reducing the benefits (like when they eliminated the domestic companion ticket) and keep raising the AF.

Message Edited by Max09 on 11-10-2008 02:08 PM
Established Member
alicias

I've had AmEx Blue for just over 2 years.  Three months ago I did a balance transfer to a 0% Visa and the AmEx has been paid off every month since.  My monthly bill dated yesterday says my available credit line is $9,000.

TODAY I view my account activity online and my credit line was reduced to $500.  No mention of this in my bill dated yesterday & no explaination online.  Had I blinked I would have missed it!!

I have filed a complaint asking for my LOC to be restored.  Will let you know what happens. 

Moderator Emeritus
fused

I have an Amex Plat, so far no AA has been taken against me.
Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (11-08-2014): EQ 818, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26+ years ~ AAoA: 12 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}