Established Contributor
adavis425

For those who wonder if AMEX blacklists...

I ran across this article and it was really the first couple of paragraphs that caugt my attention. I'm pretty sure I've read here about folks trying to get the bonus with the Blue Sky and being told to pay the bad debt to get a new card.  Interesting read.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/amex-hit-112-5m-charges-204302820.html

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Established Contributor
sjt

Re: For those who wonder if AMEX blacklists...

adavis425 wrote:

I ran across this article and it was really the first couple of paragraphs that caugt my attention. I'm pretty sure I've read here about folks trying to get the bonus with the Blue Sky and being told to pay the bad debt to get a new card.  Interesting read.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/amex-hit-112-5m-charges-204302820.html

To clarify, one of the findings that the CFPB had against Amex was that they did not clarify that a settled debt (paying a debt less then owed) could factor into future credit decisions by Amex. So applicants who had paid a previous debt for less then actually owed, would be denied unless they paid the full amount of the debt. As a settlement with the CFPB applicants who paid the remaining balance owed would be refunded for that amount plus interest. Other applicants who were denied but did not pay the remaining balance would be offered a pre approved card plus $100.

In future collection practices Amex will have to disclose that settling a debt for less then actually owed may be a factor in future credit decisions with Amex.

Mega Contributor
LS2982

Re: For those who wonder if AMEX blacklists...

Hmm............

So, you burned AMEX in the past. You pay them a partial payment of the debt and expect the bank to give you ANOTHER loan considering you burned them in the past and didnt even pay them all the money back??

Hilarious! :smileyvery-happy:

The joke is on the consumer who would think a bank would reconsider you. It's totally ridiculous.

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}