cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those who wonder if AMEX blacklists...

tag
adavis425
Established Contributor

For those who wonder if AMEX blacklists...

I ran across this article and it was really the first couple of paragraphs that caugt my attention. I'm pretty sure I've read here about folks trying to get the bonus with the Blue Sky and being told to pay the bad debt to get a new card.  Interesting read.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/amex-hit-112-5m-charges-204302820.html

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: For those who wonder if AMEX blacklists...

@adavis425 wrote:

I ran across this article and it was really the first couple of paragraphs that caugt my attention. I'm pretty sure I've read here about folks trying to get the bonus with the Blue Sky and being told to pay the bad debt to get a new card.  Interesting read.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/amex-hit-112-5m-charges-204302820.html

To clarify, one of the findings that the CFPB had against Amex was that they did not clarify that a settled debt (paying a debt less then owed) could factor into future credit decisions by Amex. So applicants who had paid a previous debt for less then actually owed, would be denied unless they paid the full amount of the debt. As a settlement with the CFPB applicants who paid the remaining balance owed would be refunded for that amount plus interest. Other applicants who were denied but did not pay the remaining balance would be offered a pre approved card plus $100.

In future collection practices Amex will have to disclose that settling a debt for less then actually owed may be a factor in future credit decisions with Amex.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 2 of 3
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: For those who wonder if AMEX blacklists...

Hmm............

So, you burned AMEX in the past. You pay them a partial payment of the debt and expect the bank to give you ANOTHER loan considering you burned them in the past and didnt even pay them all the money back??

Hilarious! Smiley Very Happy

The joke is on the consumer who would think a bank would reconsider you. It's totally ridiculous.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.