cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those with 6+ Credit Cards how do you obtain more credit?

tag
CreditGuy03
Established Contributor

Re: For those with 6+ Credit Cards how do you obtain more credit?

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

Yea student loan 168, Auto 425 and a signature loan at 225 a month

My cards are all zero balance except barclays which is a 8% balance

If you don't mind me asking, who's your Auto Loan through?

Any negatives? Even if paid..

Something on your report is spooking these creditors...

Auto loan is through a Credit Union

I do have a recent chargeoff as of August 2013 but it is paid in full. No collections. I have two old paid chargeoffs from 2008 that should fall off next year.

Also some spotty 30 day lates over the years. Maybe 4 total 30 day lates across 60 open/closed accounts

Equifax - 628, Experian -627, Transunion- 654 In the garden until 01/01/2019
Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

I do have a recent chargeoff as of August 2013 but it is paid in full. No collections. I have two old paid chargeoffs from 2008 that should fall off next year.

The recent but paid C/O could be your culprit as I also have two C/O's from 2008....but they are unpaid.

Message 12 of 29
Firehorse
Frequent Contributor

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

The COs are prolly scaring them. Every once in awhile I get someone spooked about my paid lien that should have been withdrawn.

I concur with the consensus. Make sure your HPs are at least 6 mos old before your next app. I might suggest apping with the CU for a Visa where you have your auto loan.

Start MyFico: 01/04/2014: TU 572, EX 599, EQ 593, CK: 593, CKV: 596, CS: 626 Garden since 01/09/2015
Current MyFico 10/23/2015: TU 740, EX 784, EQ 739, CK/TU: 768, CK/EX: 782, CS: 785 Q: 702 1.5% UTIL & 6.9 yrs. AAoA, 1 PAID FTB Lien 8/2008

Message 13 of 29
Brax
Frequent Contributor

Getting higher limits with baddies is very difficult but not impossible.

I would focus on Amex to obtain more credit. It took about a year of history with them before they give me a 5 digit limit with baddies but at least it's possible!

Message 14 of 29
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

I have 

Barclays Carnival Mastercard $2000 - opened 2009

Capital One Quicksilver $1500 - opened 2009

Capital One Spark Visa Business $1000 - opened 2011

Target Redcard $350 - 2014

Home Depot $500 - 2009

My scores are around 680-690 range and I make about 75k a year. 

Whenever I try to apply for another card either with my credit union or Barclays, Amex, Chase they always tell me I have too much credit and deny. 

I had to beg and plead with the Underwriters just to get a CLI on my Barclays Carnival.

For those with More than 6+ Cards and more credit lines than me how do you do it?

Credit Unions are almost always going to think you have too much credit especially if it's new.

1)  Clean credit reports (no negatives whatsoever).

2)  Keep utilization reasonable (under 10%).

3)  Apply with different lenders (BMO, GE, Comenity, Commerce, BoA, Citi, WF, Cap1, US Bank, Nasa, etc....).

4)  Use Amex backdating to your advantage.  I've applied for a few of their cards strictly for that purpose to cushion my AAoA.

With multiple cards from the same bank, know your limits and try to find out what your max exposure is.  I've had this discussion with Chase, Citi and Boa and they don't usually give you an exact amount, but can say "you're reaching your maximum credit exposure with us."  Also it has been helpful to space apps with the same lender out by 6 months each.

Message 15 of 29
coterotie
Established Contributor

First suggestion:  Do the sportsman guide visa shopping cart soft pull trick. 

Don't guess there is any way to get a delete on that recent paid charge, but if you could I would think you would be golden for other cards.

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

Also some spotty 30 day lates over the years. Maybe 4 total 30 day lates across 60 open/closed accounts

Message 16 of 29
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@B335is wrote:

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

I have 

Home Depot $500 - 2009

Whenever I try to apply for another card either with my credit union or Barclays, Amex, Chase they always tell me I have too much credit and deny. 

I had to beg and plead with the Underwriters just to get a CLI on my Barclays Carnival.

For those with More than 6+ Cards and more credit lines than me how do you do it?

Credit Unions are almost always going to think you have too much credit especially if it's new.

3)  Apply with different lenders (BMO, GE, Comenity, Commerce, BoA, Citi, WF, Cap1, US Bank, Nasa, etc....).

4)  Use Amex backdating to your advantage.  I've applied for a few of their cards strictly for that purpose to cushion my AAoA.

With multiple cards from the same bank, know your limits and try to find out what your max exposure is.  I've had this discussion with Chase, Citi and Boa and they don't usually give you an exact amount, but can say "you're reaching your maximum credit exposure with us."  Also it has been helpful to space apps with the same lender out by 6 months each.

I would agree.  And, while everyone's approach and goals may differ, the above has worked for me.  Items 1) and 2) are definitely key drivers.

Message 17 of 29
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

I apply when my credit score is rosy

I used to get my credit score once every quarter (although they were FAKOs I could see a trend at least), and when they were higher I would apply for cards

and after that point I would avoid inquiries, even things like new cable, utilities or cellphone plans, which would pull credit and potentially lower the score further

so, when I'm coming off of score lows I would pay off credit cards more and keep my utilization lower than usual, and apply for cards and credit limit increases and APR decreases when the scores reported higher

Message 18 of 29
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

I have 

Home Depot $500 - 2009

I would agree.  And, while everyone's approach and goals may differ, the above has worked for me.  Items 1) and 2) are definitely key drivers.

what is AMEX backdating?

Message 19 of 29
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

That's it right there.   The only thing I'd suggest on the COs is GW efforts.   Aside from aging them off, that's really all that can be done.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.