cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those with 6+ Credit Cards how do you obtain more credit?

tag
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: For those with 6+ Credit Cards how do you obtain more credit?

@gen-specific wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

I have 

Barclays Carnival Mastercard $2000 - opened 2009

Capital One Quicksilver $1500 - opened 2009

Capital One Spark Visa Business $1000 - opened 2011

Target Redcard $350 - 2014

Home Depot $500 - 2009

My scores are around 680-690 range and I make about 75k a year. 

Whenever I try to apply for another card either with my credit union or Barclays, Amex, Chase they always tell me I have too much credit and deny. 

I had to beg and plead with the Underwriters just to get a CLI on my Barclays Carnival.

For those with More than 6+ Cards and more credit lines than me how do you do it?

Credit Unions are almost always going to think you have too much credit especially if it's new.

1)  Clean credit reports (no negatives whatsoever).

2)  Keep utilization reasonable (under 10%).

3)  Apply with different lenders (BMO, GE, Comenity, Commerce, BoA, Citi, WF, Cap1, US Bank, Nasa, etc....).

4)  Use Amex backdating to your advantage.  I've applied for a few of their cards strictly for that purpose to cushion my AAoA.

With multiple cards from the same bank, know your limits and try to find out what your max exposure is.  I've had this discussion with Chase, Citi and Boa and they don't usually give you an exact amount, but can say "you're reaching your maximum credit exposure with us."  Also it has been helpful to space apps with the same lender out by 6 months each.

I would agree.  And, while everyone's approach and goals may differ, the above has worked for me.  Items 1) and 2) are definitely key drivers.

what is AMEX backdating?

In a nutshell all subsequent Amex cards I apply for have a listed "open date" on my credit reports of 1998 - the date Amex considers me a member (MSD).  So every 6 months or so, I try to add an additional Amex card that is backdated for 16+ years and counting and it increases my AAoA by about 10 months.  I'm closing PRG and possibly BCE in a day or so and will apply for something else in January 2015.

Message 21 of 29
HiLine
Blogger

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

I have 

Home Depot $500 - 2009

Whenever I try to apply for another card either with my credit union or Barclays, Amex, Chase they always tell me I have too much credit and deny. 

I had to beg and plead with the Underwriters just to get a CLI on my Barclays Carnival.

For those with More than 6+ Cards and more credit lines than me how do you do it?

What they probably mean is, you have too much credit for someone with negative items on credit reports. Don't worry about it. Income is not your issue, either. If I were you, I would focus my spending on one card or two and ask for a credit limit increase after a few months. Once your credit limits reach a certain level, it should become much easier to get even more credit.

Message 22 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HiLine wrote:

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

I have 

Home Depot $500 - 2009

What they probably mean is, you have too much credit for someone with negative items on credit reports. Don't worry about it. Income is not your issue, either. If I were you, I would focus my spending on one card or two and ask for a credit limit increase after a few months. Once your credit limits reach a certain level, it should become much easier to get even more credit.

If he has too much for someone with negative items on their credit, then i'm WAY over the line.

And to think, my name isn't even smokey.

Message 23 of 29
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

What are yourFICO score reasons ?

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 24 of 29
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

Home Depot and Target seem to be stingy, do they give out CLI's. Walmart is much more generous with credit limit jumps. You have had that Quicksilver a long time, have you talked to Cap one on the phone?

Message 25 of 29
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@Jerry45 wrote:

Home Depot and Target seem to be stingy, do they give out CLI's. Walmart is much more generous with credit limit jumps. You have had that Quicksilver a long time, have you talked to Cap one on the phone?

Home Depot can be quite generous with CLIs. It will be a HP but you can jump verrrrrry high than where you were before... say you were at like 3k.. you can ask for 20k and get it! lol (Obviously, depends on your profile to an extent, but they are lenient.)

Target's not generous at all. lol

Message 26 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kenny wrote:

@Jerry45 wrote:

Home Depot can be quite generous with CLIs. It will be a HP but you can jump verrrrrry high than where you were before... say you were at like 3k.. you can ask for 20k and get it! lol (Obviously, depends on your profile to an extent, but they are lenient.)

They're the grinch of store cards.

Message 27 of 29
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Kenny wrote:

@Jerry45 wrote:

They're the grinch of store cards.

Yep, don't know how long they've been with TD, but I had them around 1999 til bk in2001, and they were tight back then.

Signature needs updating
Message 28 of 29
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

It's a matter of one's income and the usual factors:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

If you have dergos then get them addressed as they will likely kill your Payment History which is the biggest slice above.

If your utilization isn't in check then get it under control as it's the next biggest factor (Amounts Owed).

All the rest just takes time and responsbile usage to build.

@HiLine wrote:

What they probably mean is, you have too much credit for someone with negative items on credit reports.

^ This.  It's the OP's credit that makes them leery about extending more credit.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.