cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those with the citi premier/prestige combo what will you do when AF hits?

tag
red259
Super Contributor

For those with the citi premier/prestige combo what will you do when AF hits?

I picked up both cards several months ago, because they work well together and both had signup bonuses. I can't see paying the AF on both cards, so I think I may only keep one. I'm not sure if I want to give up my prestige card or not. For those of you who have or had both cards what did/will you do when the AFs hit? Did you keep both? Got rid of both? Kept only one? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

Re: For those with the citi premier/prestige combo what will you do when AF hits?

I just got approve for Prestige Jan 19th. I will be picking up the premier in 6 months.

my plan is to PC the premier before AF hits . PC it to Doubke Cash !!! Assuming it's possible 

Message 2 of 9
red259
Super Contributor

Re: For those with the citi premier/prestige combo what will you do when AF hits?

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

I just got approve for Prestige Jan 19th. I will be picking up the premier in 6 months.

my plan is to PC the premier before AF hits . PC it to Doubke Cash !!! Assuming it's possible 

Yes, whichever one I get rid of I will likely want to PC to a double cash.

;
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

I just got the Prestige. I plan to combine credit lines and close the Premier and DC and send what I can to Prestige. I know it will be a hp and I may lose some of the credit if they can't transfer it all over but I am hoping to trim down the cards I have. If you want to keep both I know that a good amount of people say that they were given credit for the AF after a minium spend as a retention offer. That was my original plan until sitting down and going through not just the rewards but if it suits me to have more rewards or to have minimize at the cost of not maximizing every spend.

Message 4 of 9
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

I just got the Prestige. I plan to combine credit lines and close the Premier and DC and send what I can to Prestige. I know it will be a hp and I may lose some of the credit if they can't transfer it all over but I am hoping to trim down the cards I have. If you want to keep both I know that a good amount of people say that they were given credit for the AF after a minium spend as a retention offer. That was my original plan until sitting down and going through not just the rewards but if it suits me to have more rewards or to have minimize at the cost of not maximizing every spend.

For which card did they get the retention offer? If I could get a retention offer to offset the prestige AF I'd definetly keep it, because I like the card and benefits itself. I suspect you may be referring to the premier though. 

;
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, yes that was for the Premier. Most people that have reported retention offers have the AF credited after 1-3k spend in 3 months.

Message 6 of 9
dilettante
Established Contributor

I've had both for over a year. I originally got Premier for the 3X dining and entertainment and when those categories were changed to 2X this month, I was thinking about closing it. But I like the broad travel category since I take Uber frequently (I also get extra SPG points with the SPG/Uber crossover points), so I decided to keep it and may just reduce the 36.5K CL on that card since I don't want to have that much exposure with Citi.

The Prestige, I will definitely keep since I use it for airfare, hotels, and will start using it for restaurants and entertainment again.  Plus with Citigold, the AF is reduced and you get the relationship bonus as well.

I'm hoping that someday, they'll change the Prestige travel category to match the Premier's so I can close the Premier.  I have too many travel cards!

Message 7 of 9
red259
Super Contributor

@dilettante wrote:

I've had both for over a year. I originally got Premier for the 3X dining and entertainment and when those categories were changed to 2X this month, I was thinking about closing it. But I like the broad travel category since I take Uber frequently (I also get extra SPG points with the SPG/Uber crossover points), so I decided to keep it and may just reduce the 36.5K CL on that card since I don't want to have that much exposure with Citi.

The Prestige, I will definitely keep since I use it for airfare, hotels, and will start using it for restaurants and entertainment again.  Plus with Citigold, the AF is reduced and you get the relationship bonus as well.

I'm hoping that someday, they'll change the Prestige travel category to match the Premier's so I can close the Premier.  I have too many travel cards!

Even with the x3 dining I think I was still favoring my CS for the x2. I will use my premier for all general travel (except for the first quarter when covered by freedom bonus) and entertainment spend.I have citigold now, but I will probably close that account since it is not my primary bank (nor do I want to make it so) and I don't want to continue to pay the fees to keep the account open. I agree with the idea of making prestige categories stronger. I would love to be able to put all my travel spend on the prestige. 

;
Message 8 of 9
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I don't have the premier, but it's definitely a possibility in my future. Even if just for the signup bonus.

To me, the prestige card, in its' current state, is an invaluable asset in even the infrequent travelers credit card portfolio. I'm hoping there won't be any nerfing in the near future.

The premier card falls into the same category in my opinion. Having the same fee as the CSP, yet an even higher earning potential, knocks it out of the park in my book.

And if you happen to have a 5x forward, you're set for life. (or until they hunt you down)
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.