Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign Transaction Fees

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Foreign Transaction Fees

Being seeking for a good deal on Expedia by Citi as well as Hilton Honors by AmEx. The one I might certainly get approved for carry between 2.7% and 3% foreign transaction fees. I travel a lot from US to LatAm and Europe in business. My question will be if I book a flight or a hotel online (expedia.com or hilton.com) using one of the cards while staying in a European country is that considered an international transaction for purpose of the foreign transaction fee?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Re: Foreign Transaction Fees

Good question.

Mods, maybe move this to credit card boards for better exposure? Is not personal finance related. 

Thanks

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd think the only potential issue would be if the site redirected to a country specific version and the transaction was processed by a foreign subsidiary or something like that.
Message 3 of 4
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'd think the only potential issue would be if the site redirected to a country specific version and the transaction was processed by a foreign subsidiary or something like that.

Right.  "Foreign" is in relation to the "home" of the card, not the current location, and transactions processed by an entity outside the home can incur a FTF.  As zreed says though, if you access expedia from the UK say, it's likely you will be sent to https://www.expedia.co.uk/       In many cases (including expedia) there is an option to choose a different site from the Global Site menu so you could go to the correct one.   In other cases, using a US-based VPN should do the trick.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.