cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign country cash advance - Best rates for foreign currency?

tag
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Foreign country cash advance - Best rates for foreign currency?

I'm going to Taiwan for 2 weeks. I've been trying to figure out how to get the best terms for foreign currency. The market rate is $29.05 TWD per $1 USD. Bank of America is exchanging at $26.79 TWD per $1 USD and charge a $7.50 fee. I contacted Capital One and their rates on cash advances and purchases  are dependant on what MC or Visa charges, which is $29.05 TWD per $1 USD, but I don't have a PIN for the card, and it takes too long to send to me. I'm thinking of just walking into a Chase branch in Taiwan and asking for a cash advance using my CSP. Does anyone know what type of exchange rates they use and what are the fees associated with it? I assume it's just 3% plus immediate interest accrual. Are there hidden fees that the bank that I go to will charge?

Thanks

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Foreign country cash advance - Best rates for foreign currency?

First of, any currency exchange that involves the use of a debit/credit card depend on Visa or MC exchange rate. Issuer never sets exchange rate for debit/credit card.

That means you get the same exchange rate by using CSP Visa and Capital One Visa at a Taiwanese ATM (minus the difference between cash advance fee/interest and possible FTF). The exchange rate given to you by BofA is when you hand them cash (USD) and ask for NTD (New Taiwanese Dollar) in return.

I do not believe there is a Chase branch in Taipei, Taiwan. There is a JP Morgan branch that mainly deals the asset in Taipei, Taiwan.

If you want to save money do the following,

* Open a Charles Schwab checking account and ask them to rush their debit card.

* Load your money onto the checking account.

* Use your Charles Schwab debit card to take out money at Taiwanese ATM.

Charles Schwab does not charge any fee regarding the use of debit card, and will reimbursh the ATM fee charged by the ATM operator (excluding the fee for checking your balance).

Message 2 of 3
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Re: Foreign country cash advance - Best rates for foreign currency?

BofA wont charge a fee if you have checking with them. Ive exchanged £ before but not TWD
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.