Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign currency or transaction alert from AMEX

tag
IrishPM
Frequent Contributor

Foreign currency or transaction alert from AMEX

It's now official that the United States has ceased to exist (sarcasm). Something bizarre is going on. I did some shopping at the new Walmart location in downtown Honolulu (Hawaii) and used my American Express Blue Cash Everyday card. After swiping my card and the transaction was approved, I got an email message from AMEX on my smartphone that said this..."The following purchase on your Blue Cash Everyday  (SM) account was made in a different country or currency. If you do not recognize this transaction, please call the number on the back of your Card."....Merchant Name: Wal-Mart.....Merchant Location: MASCHOUCHE QC CAN....**bleep** is going on? I have used this same card in different locations in and around Honolulu and have never seen this happen. Even if it's a Canadian company that owns the Wal Mart store, shouldn't they have to conduct transactions using American currency? Anyone got any thoughts?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Foreign currency or transaction alert from AMEX

Compromised card, I would be calling in.

Message 2 of 5
IrishPM
Frequent Contributor

It can't be a compromised card because I made the transaction...it's not fraud or a stolen card if I made the transaction...it's just that the transaction is showing up as a "foreign transaction" or "foreign currency" at a Wal Mart location in downtown Honolulu, HI, on American soil.....I've never encountered anything like this before. It would be like going to a Starbucks at the Miami airport, using the same card and an alert from American Express that there's been a foreign transaction on your card....odd.

Message 3 of 5
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@IrishPM wrote:

It can't be a compromised card because I made the transaction...it's not fraud or a stolen card if I made the transaction...it's just that the transaction is showing up as a "foreign transaction" or "foreign currency" at a Wal Mart location in downtown Honolulu, HI, on American soil.....I've never encountered anything like this before. It would be like going to a Starbucks at the Miami airport, using the same card and an alert from American Express that there's been a foreign transaction on your card....odd.

Call them ASAP. Or get on chat. It's probably a mistake on their system. They will take care of it for you. If your card has no FTF, then don't worry about it. 

Message 4 of 5
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@IrishPM wrote:

I use a credit card with no foreign transaction fees to reload my Skype account, because Skype bank is in the UK and it will bill as a foreign transaction.

I can't believe this happened at an American Wal-Mart, however.  It might not hurt to still call Amex just to double-check that there aren't more Canadian transactions on there after your card was skimmed at a US Walmart.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.