Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign immigrant husband... how to deal

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Leap-frog, anyone?

OP - it appears you already have a similar/duplicate thread on this topic:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Foreign-immigrant-husband-how-to-deal/td-p/2623209

Message 11 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Foreign immigrant husband... how to deal

@ptilda wrote:

My husband is from Haiti, and we are currently waiting for his US visa so he can join me here. Of course, he has no US credit and no SSN. Has anyone here dealt with this?

I am wondering how much I should worry about puting him on my cards and such (I don't have much at this point), or if I should just let him develop his own credit independent from mine. I have a ton of student loans, and don't know if tying him to my other accounts might affect him negatively. Was thinking of adding him on my CU account only and then on one or two cards to help establish him.

I appreciate the feedback on this.

OP - seems like there's another similar thread recently posted with guidance on this topic:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Leap-frog-anyone/m-p/2625261/highlight/false#M750327

Message 12 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

OP,
I merged your threads together and changed your title to match your other thread - I changed nothing else.

Lexie, myFICO Moderator
Message 13 of 17
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:
Wait till he gets his SSN, then add him as AU.

It doesn't really matter I guess if you wait or not unless it's an amex, however I didn't becuase I wanted her to also have access to the credit itself. Getting a SSN can take a few months if you went the same route I did. 

Message 14 of 17
Mengineer77

Hi ptilda,

I dealt with this when my wife came over. Your husband can get an SSN once he arrives in the US, and a couple weeks after that you can add him as an AU to your cards. I would recommend getting his SSN as soon as he arrives. To get an SSN he will need to show his passport and the I-94 form which he will fill out once he enters immigration in the US. I have had 2 different responses to when i went to Social Security, one attendant told me that the I-94 is no longer valid once you get married so they cannont give out an SSN unitl my wife has her green card. The another attendant in a different city did not even ask about if we got married and proceeded to proecess the paperwork. My wife got her SSN 2 weeks after. One thing is for sure is that the I-94 is only valid for a couple of months. Also with the I-94, they should be about to get a bank account. There is a lot of information regarding things that need to be done when your fiance or spouse arrives on visajourney. Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 17
ptilda
Established Contributor

Added him today to Wamart. I'll add him to the Discover and Cap One cards later this week if they let me. Walmart said they'll start reporting it on his credit report right away. We'll see how it works without a SSN, but once he gets the SSN, if it's not on there, we'll ask Walmart to correct.

Also, I'm gettin Discover It and Cap One securred & will push the limits up (via deposit & good pmts) so hopefully we'll have at least $5-6K when he gets here. He'll have a SSN right away bcause it's a spouse visa, not fiance visa.

Thanks again! Lots of help!

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 16 of 17
ptilda
Established Contributor

Another question for you, Mengineer77, how long did it take for your wife to show a credit report once you put her on your acts & she got her ssn?

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.