Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign travel fee?

tag
audia4
Established Contributor

Foreign travel fee?

I assume it means exactly what it says...they charge you a fee when used in a foreign country right?

How do I know if my cards do this? (I have Amex, Chase Freedom, Walmart Discover, Cap 1).

We are going to be leaving on a cruise and this will be the first time I have ever taken my cc with me to use.

Any advice and/or help?

Will I need to contact them ahead of time to let them know?

TU: 819 EQ: 821 EX 811

**$7500****$30,000*****$13500****$42,200****$10,000***$10,700*****$6000****$11,000*****OPEN****OPEN******$27,000*****11,000

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Re: Foreign travel fee?

i would contact your creditors just to be sure...even banks have varying terms for FTF's based on each product they offer...give em a call Smiley Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 2 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@djc1puno wrote:

i would contact your creditors just to be sure...even banks have varying terms for FTF's based on each product they offer...give em a call Smiley Happy

It's Foreign Transaction Fee, and, if applicable, will be charged whenever the transaction is processed through a foreign bank.    This can happen from time to time on web sites (booking trips on foreign carriers) while in the US.

And it's the transaction that matters, not the currency.  So beware if a merchant offers to charge you in US $ as a convenience.   You get (usually) a poor exchange rate and still get the Foreign Transaction Fee.

Of your cards, no Capital One cards have a FTF.

Message 3 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@djc1puno wrote:

It's Foreign Transaction Fee, and, if applicable, will be charged whenever the transaction is processed through a foreign bank.    This can happen from time to time on web sites (booking trips on foreign carriers) while in the US.

And it's the transaction that matters, not the currency.  So beware if a merchant offers to charge you in US $ as a convenience.   You get (usually) a poor exchange rate and still get the Foreign Transaction Fee.

Of your cards, no Capital One cards have a FTF.

And Freedom and Amex Blue Sky do.  Don't know about Discover, but that has issues being accepted in many places outside the US.

Message 4 of 10
eddie84
Valued Contributor

Discover also does not charge FTF (link) but acceptance might post an issue.

Message 5 of 10
uswala
Senior Contributor

Discover does not charge a foreign currency transaction fee as well.

Message 6 of 10
audia4
Established Contributor

@eddie84 wrote:

I have a Walmart Discover. I was able to find my statement that arrived with my original card and it does state they do charge a FTF. Smiley Sad  So maybe because it's a different kind of Discover?

**$7500****$30,000*****$13500****$42,200****$10,000***$10,700*****$6000****$11,000*****OPEN****OPEN******$27,000*****11,000

Message 7 of 10
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

@audia4 wrote:

@eddie84 wrote:

I have a Walmart Discover. I was able to find my statement that arrived with my original card and it does state they do charge a FTF. Smiley Sad  So maybe because it's a different kind of Discover?

wally discover is actually GE...not by discover card...

---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 8 of 10
audia4
Established Contributor

@djc1puno wrote:

@audia4 wrote:

@eddie84 wrote:

Well there I go...that explains it. LOL 

Thanks. I'll have to see if I can dig out the others to confirm.

Message 9 of 10
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

@audia4 wrote:

@djc1puno wrote:

@audia4 wrote:

@eddie84 wrote:

Well there I go...that explains it. LOL 

Thanks. I'll have to see if I can dig out the others to confirm.

you're welcome...like i said earlier, call your cc to inquire about your cards and FTFs just  to be sure Smiley Happy

---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.