cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreigner new to credit. How to proceed?

tag

Foreigner new to credit. How to proceed?

Been in the US since last May. Got my SSN and Green Card in November. Got a job in December paying 33.5k, not too shabby since it was the first one I applied for.

Right now, I have the cards listed in my signature below. I'm very happy with the mix of credit I have right now. I always PIF every month. Is there anything else I should be doing to improve my scores and to show the different insitutions that I can be trusted with money? I see the term 'gardening' referenced a lot, is that something I should be aiming to do?

Also looking for some tips on some good card with travel rewards as I'm always flying back and forth to Europe.

Thanks in advance,

-Nomad

Cap One Secured ($49 deposit) - $300 (01/13 | Discover IT - $750 (03/13 | Capital One Newcomers - $500 (07/13) | JCP - $100 (07/13) | Amazon - $1200 (07/13) | Walmart - $600 (07/13) | Lowe's - $500 (07/13) | Barclaycard Apple Financing Card - $700 (07/13).
FAKO Scores (07/19) from privacyguard.com - EX 660, EQ 655, TU 669
Fico Scores - TU (Walmart) - 683 (07/26/13)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Leadberry
Established Contributor

Re: Foreigner new to credit. How to proceed?

All you need to do now is wait.  With continued good behavior, your scores and credit limits will increase with time.  If you can afford to finance a car, that should be a pretty big boon to your credit profile as well.  Diversity is your friend.

P.S. - Gardening is refraining from applying for new accounts.  This allows your AAoA (average age of accounts) to increase; it also keeps the number of credit inquiries on your reports down.  Both of these will help boost your credit score.

Welcome to the States!  Smiley Very Happy

FICO Scores 800+
Message 2 of 6

Thanks for the welcome!

A car is likely on the horizon in the next 6-9 months I think.

Gardening in the way forward, for now...
Cap One Secured ($49 deposit) - $300 (01/13 | Discover IT - $750 (03/13 | Capital One Newcomers - $500 (07/13) | JCP - $100 (07/13) | Amazon - $1200 (07/13) | Walmart - $600 (07/13) | Lowe's - $500 (07/13) | Barclaycard Apple Financing Card - $700 (07/13).
Message 3 of 6
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Just caught my eye - why you say in your siggy that:

"Fico Scores - Can't get them as I haven't had my SSN for 24 months."?

I've never heard about such a limitation - who told you about that?

I think I started getting my scores (e.g. TU from Walmart) when my SSN was around 12 months old and I think I could have gotten them even earlier, but I just didn't bother.

AFAIK, the only reason for not being able to get a score is so called "thin file" which is probably something less than 3-4 months history with less than 2 open tradelines.

I see that you have Walmart card - so what does it say when you try to check your FICO there?

Other than that I think you're doing everything right. If you are interested in good travel card than In 2-3 months I would probably try Bank of America Travel Rewards. In 6-9 months when you have at least a year of history I would aim to something like Amex PRG or Amex Delta...

Good luck!

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 4 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum! I agree, gardening would be best for you now. Also, you should be able to get your FICO scores after 6 mos of credit.
Message 5 of 6

In regards to the FICO score, it was with myFICO.com. I signed up for Score Watch online and received a message saying that I need to do a manual verification which isn't a problem as being a resident alien, it sort of comes with the teritory.

So I called them up and was told straight off the bat that myFICO.com couldn't provide me with my FICO scores until my SSN was at least 24 months old. Right now it is a little over 8 months old, but don't have a problem applying for credit or getting my FAKO scores from privacyguard.com, trustedID, and Quizzle.

I have't received my Walmart card just yet. Can I get a FICO score through them? Didn't know that.

Gardening is my goal now. I was thinking about AMEX Delta or the BoA Travel Rewards card, which is kinda neat as I have checking and savings with BoA too!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.