Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Found out for myself...ALWAYS owe something on a CC

tag
pmc123
Established Member

Re: Found out for myself...ALWAYS owe something on a CC

I am now prepared to do the same experiment. I have good scores and expect them to drop a few points, but I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what your score is (within reason), unless someone is going to look at it and use it to make a credit decision.

I think it is far better to eliminate interest payments than to worry about the actual score.......

Edited to move the rest of the post to General Credit

Message Edited by pmc123 on 03-20-2009 08:46 AM
Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just wanted to chime in that you can have your cake and eat it too, in this regard. I don't pay a dime of interest, because I PIF, but I don't like to lose those 7-10 FICO points that I seem to drop by not having a small balance to show "responsible use of credit". By figuring out when my lenders reported to the bureaus I've been able to have the best of both worlds.

Message 12 of 24
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I did the same experiment two months ago, and lost 2, 4, and 6 points (can't remember which CRA was which, but those were the numbers.)

It's the sort of thing that isn't huge on a daily basis, but anyone going for an important app like a mortgage should be aware of this and tweak their reported util accordingly.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 24
geronimo2008
Regular Contributor

Just pay the account by the due date. You will report a balancve and you will avoid interest.
Message 14 of 24
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

geronimo2008 wrote:
Just pay the account by the due date. You will report a balancve and you will avoid interest.

But you don't want to do this with every account, or you'll get a pretty impressive ding from "too many accounts with balances."
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 15 of 24
wmarat
Valued Contributor

I have experimented with balances for a while. My conclusion is that nobody including Isaac himself knows how it works. I've lost 7 points for $1 balance on $5600 card and I've gained 8 points for $57 balance on $10000 card, so go figure.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 16 of 24
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@wmarat wrote:

I have experimented with balances for a while. My conclusion is that nobody including Isaac himself knows how it works. I've lost 7 points for $1 balance on $5600 card and I've gained 8 points for $57 balance on $10000 card, so go figure.

Yeah, tell me about it!  During the past Christmas holiday, I had one card at over 80% util. when it reported.  I thought I'd get a big ding for that, but it only took me down 1 point...just 1.  Having no balance on any card brought me down 6!

I'm glad there are other "gotta find out for myself" folks here, it'll make it much  less painful for when I do something stupid in the interests of credit-scoring education!

Message 17 of 24
moondog7324
Frequent Contributor

I'm not saying completely ignore your FICO- it is important to know how to tweak it to get from 615 to 625 if your mortgage shopping- but I've been guilty in the past of wondering "what if"- if I get the Target card or the Crown Jewelers-it can almost become an addiction- When you first start credit repair you see wonderful things happen when you get that collection deleted or a late fee removed- but everyonce in awhile you get blindsided by an updated charge off or a new collection and phone calls from a dormant account you awoken. Im just advocating take control of your debt- create good habits and have patience. I have a secured account that will go unsecure next month- $1000.... I'm thinking I can get that raised to a 5G credit line- but Do I really need it??? I made a pledge at the beginning of the year- No Inquiries in 2009,unless it's for a mortgage.
Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just posted about this same thing in the general credit section. Didn't see this post first. I just had zero accounts report a balance and lost 9 points on EQ and 27 on TU!!
Message 19 of 24
UpNUp
Regular Contributor

I just lost 8 points because my utilization went up to 7%.Smiley Mad

You are damned if you do and damned if you dont!!

Message Edited by UpNUp on 04-03-2009 09:45 AM
Message Edited by UpNUp on 04-03-2009 09:45 AM
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.