Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Established Member

Re: Found out for myself...ALWAYS owe something on a CC

[ Edited ]

I am now prepared to do the same experiment. I have good scores and expect them to drop a few points, but I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what your score is (within reason), unless someone is going to look at it and use it to make a credit decision.

I think it is far better to eliminate interest payments than to worry about the actual score.......

Edited to move the rest of the post to General Credit

Message Edited by pmc123 on 03-20-2009 08:46 AM
Moderator Emerita

I just wanted to chime in that you can have your cake and eat it too, in this regard. I don't pay a dime of interest, because I PIF, but I don't like to lose those 7-10 FICO points that I seem to drop by not having a small balance to show "responsible use of credit". By figuring out when my lenders reported to the bureaus I've been able to have the best of both worlds.

-------------------------------------------

Friendly, Supportive & Respectful

Understanding Your FICO Score  |  Credit Scoring 101  |  Common Abbreviations  |  FTC: FCRA Links  |  FTC: FDCPA Links  |  Opt-Out  |  State Resources

"However gradual may be the growth of confidence, that of credit requires still more time to arrive at maturity” ~ Benjamin Disraeli

Moderator Emerita

I did the same experiment two months ago, and lost 2, 4, and 6 points (can't remember which CRA was which, but those were the numbers.)

It's the sort of thing that isn't huge on a daily basis, but anyone going for an important app like a mortgage should be aware of this and tweak their reported util accordingly.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Regular Contributor

Just pay the account by the due date. You will report a balancve and you will avoid interest.
Moderator Emerita

geronimo2008 wrote:
Just pay the account by the due date. You will report a balancve and you will avoid interest.

But you don't want to do this with every account, or you'll get a pretty impressive ding from "too many accounts with balances."
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Valued Contributor

I have experimented with balances for a while. My conclusion is that nobody including Isaac himself knows how it works. I've lost 7 points for $1 balance on $5600 card and I've gained 8 points for $57 balance on $10000 card, so go figure.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Valued Contributor

wmarat wrote:

I have experimented with balances for a while. My conclusion is that nobody including Isaac himself knows how it works. I've lost 7 points for $1 balance on $5600 card and I've gained 8 points for $57 balance on $10000 card, so go figure.

Yeah, tell me about it!  During the past Christmas holiday, I had one card at over 80% util. when it reported.  I thought I'd get a big ding for that, but it only took me down 1 point...just 1.  Having no balance on any card brought me down 6!

I'm glad there are other "gotta find out for myself" folks here, it'll make it much  less painful for when I do something stupid in the interests of credit-scoring education!

Frequent Contributor

I'm not saying completely ignore your FICO- it is important to know how to tweak it to get from 615 to 625 if your mortgage shopping- but I've been guilty in the past of wondering "what if"- if I get the Target card or the Crown Jewelers-it can almost become an addiction- When you first start credit repair you see wonderful things happen when you get that collection deleted or a late fee removed- but everyonce in awhile you get blindsided by an updated charge off or a new collection and phone calls from a dormant account you awoken. Im just advocating take control of your debt- create good habits and have patience. I have a secured account that will go unsecure next month- $1000.... I'm thinking I can get that raised to a 5G credit line- but Do I really need it??? I made a pledge at the beginning of the year- No Inquiries in 2009,unless it's for a mortgage.
Valued Contributor

I just posted about this same thing in the general credit section. Didn't see this post first. I just had zero accounts report a balance and lost 9 points on EQ and 27 on TU!!
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just lost 8 points because my utilization went up to 7%.Smiley Mad

You are damned if you do and damned if you dont!!

Message Edited by UpNUp on 04-03-2009 09:45 AM
Message Edited by UpNUp on 04-03-2009 09:45 AM

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.