Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud Alert Shopping Trick Question

tag
Give_Me_Credit_Please
Regular Contributor

Re: Fraud Alert Shopping Trick Question

I tried VS for the first time and got a pre-approval $1000 right away and I dont have any account with that bank anywhere! I tried again with Express, Buckle, Abercrombie and not luck!! I don't know exactly how it works but I believe it only works a couble of times on the same computer. I believe that once you go to that site, it remembers your IP address on your computer and it will only give you so much pre-approval on that computer, the computer remembers you and knows that your trying , If you use another computer so the site won't remmeber your IP address, then it would be a greater possibility that it will work again. That's just what I heard from an IT guy not sure if it's true or not but I'm certainly gonna try. 

Message 11 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Give_Me_Credit_Please wrote:

I tried VS for the first time and got a pre-approval $1000 right away and I dont have any account with that bank anywhere! I tried again with Express, Buckle, Abercrombie and not luck!! I don't know exactly how it works but I believe it only works a couble of times on the same computer. I believe that once you go to that site, it remembers your IP address on your computer and it will only give you so much pre-approval on that computer, the computer remembers you and knows that your trying , If you use another computer so the site won't remmeber your IP address, then it would be a greater possibility that it will work again. That's just what I heard from an IT guy not sure if it's true or not but I'm certainly gonna try. 

Interesting.  Post back your results if you don't mind. 

Message 12 of 14
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Ok, for OP...

When you place a FA on your TU,EQ, and EX, your info is removed from the data lists sold to potential future OC's, and such, which pretty much knocks you out of the ballpark for an instant online approval. You'll still be able to get credit, but you'll have identity proof burden, and a "manual" approval from a live person, which most don't like to do, so the computer "skips on by," more often than not. If it's a bank you already do business with, then they'll just do the simple call/email to verify, but if it's someone you don't do business with, and are trying the card match links on Cap,Amex,Citi, etc...etc... are they working for you?

I'm just typing what I've experienced, as I am running a FA on all. YMMV...

Message 13 of 14
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

When I placed the fraud alert with TU, I received a confirmation email that stated 1. They will notify the other 2 CRA's of the alert (which I believe they have to anyways, but ok), and 2. They have automatically opted me out of prescreened offers/mailings/etc.

The alert is on all 3 of my reports until April by default (which is fine, I have no plans for credit for well over that time frame. I opted myself back in through the opt in website (posted in the forum in several places), so I know it takes time to get new offerings based on the opt out/out in timing.

No card match/pre-select-pre-approved links have worked for my existing relationships (Bofa, CapOne, Discover, etc.)

I was pre-approved for Vic's Secret (via shopping cart) shortly before the alert was placed, but not one other Comenity store pre-approval (I have tried several) since, so I didn't know if the fraud could be part of the isse.

Thanks for all the replies!

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.