Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud Alert on Debit Card

tag
Dawn
Established Contributor

Fraud Alert on Debit Card

DD tried to pay her rent Saturday with her debit card that was activated in October, but has never been used.  The manager called her earlier to tell her that the charge was declined but didn't have a reason.  She tried to use the card at the grocery store so she could get cash back and it was declined there as well.

When she called the bank, she was told that there was a fraud alert on her card and that it had been reported lost or stolen.  She did not report it lost or stolen, but can't get any more detail until regular banking hours tomorrow.

If the card was activated, yet never used over a period of 4 months, would they have automatically identified it as "lost or stolen" just to be safe?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fraud Alert on Debit Card

Unbelievable! Sorry it happened to her Dawn. Smiley Sad

Poor thing. I just know she's frantic. And I KNOW her mom is!
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

i think they would deem that as unusual activity since it hasn't been used. charging a big amount and two debit card uses in one day would ring a bell if it hasn't been used before.

this actually happened to me a few months ago. the first time i made a withdrawal in an atm for a larger than usual usage on my card/debit card. tehy automatically halted teh card and called me and just wanted to verify that i still have it since they saw unusual activity on that day.

just call your bank and they should clear it up.....sometimes, progress is a pain, lol.
Message 3 of 5
Dawn
Established Contributor

Well ... the mystery will apparently remain unresolved.  All she found out from the bank was that there was a block on her card (as lost or stolen)  and they couldn't tell her why.  They unblocked it and left it at that.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Phew. At least no fraud occurred, thankfully. But it would cause me sleepless nights not knowing for sure HOW the block occurred in the first place.

I'm glad you got to the bottom of the mystery, and all is right with the world.....relatively speaking of course. Smiley Tongue

Message Edited by Sylviatob on 03-03-2008 08:35 AM
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.