Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud - CSP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fraud - CSP

It is just amazing the proportion of fraud posts that are Chase. There was a huge breach last year of like 50 or 100 million(dont remember exactly, but it was a LOT) customer accounts. Makes you wonder if it is related. I would be willing to bet that it is. Especially considering many of the posts are from people who say they have the card SD'd.
Message 11 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
It is just amazing the proportion of fraud posts that are Chase. There was a huge breach last year of like 50 or 100 million(dont remember exactly, but it was a LOT) customer accounts. Makes you wonder if it is related. I would be willing to bet that it is. Especially considering many of the posts are from people who say they have the card SD'd.

That is exactly the link I was looking for, thank you! I think you might be onto something here. If it's not related to that breach, it has to be related to something similar because there is way too many lately. I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed it (I was starting to think I was going crazy).

Message 12 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

After getting my Chase card, I logged online to set up alerts. Next day my alert went off with a fraudulent purchase in Brazil. Hope it's wasn't my computer.

Message 13 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

After getting my Chase card, I logged online to set up alerts. Next day my alert went off with a fraudulent purchase in Brazil. Hope it's wasn't my computer.

I don't think it's your computer, I think it's something related specifically to Chase -- just not sure what yet. I will definitely be keeping an eye on my Chase account for sure.

Message 14 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did they bother to send out replacement cards to everyone when the breach happened? If not, they may have just figured the potential fraud cost would be less than the cost of replacing millions of cards.

Message 15 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Did they bother to send out replacement cards to everyone when the breach happened? If not, they may have just figured the potential fraud cost would be less than the cost of replacing millions of cards.

I'm not sure, but perhaps that's why they're tightening their belt lately; all the fraudulent charges are starting to add up Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't have my card last year so my fraud wasn't related to that.  Additionally I did use my card so I'm not sure if there is any correlation there either.  Mine happened couple weeks after using it Vegas and day after using it online to buy AA gift cards.  Who knows. Another person here had the exact same fraudulent charge with attempted charges on a Square Reader

Message 17 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't have my card last year so my fraud wasn't related to that.  Additionally I did use my card so I'm not sure if there is any correlation there either.  Mine happened couple weeks after using it Vegas and day after using it online to buy AA gift cards.  Who knows. Another person here had the exact same fraudulent charge with attempted charges on a Square Reader

I think I read that too, and I know you don't need the card present to use it with a Square Reader. It just sucks for the people this happens to. I know here in my state there is always a news story about a skimmer being found at a gas station or on an ATM. Then there's reports of some type of device that can get you card info just by standing close to your wallet or purse. It's hard to say, but unless everyone is using their Chase cards much more than any other card, it still seems weird to me that this happens so often with Chase's cards. Maybe someone's skimming Chase's cards right after they're made and before they're shipped to us.

Message 18 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think I read that too, and I know you don't need the card present to use it with a Square Reader. It just sucks for the people this happens to. I know here in my state there is always a news story about a skimmer being found at a gas station or on an ATM. Then there's reports of some type of device that can get you card info just by standing close to your wallet or purse. It's hard to say, but unless everyone is using their Chase cards much more than any other card, it still seems weird to me that this happens so often with Chase's cards. Maybe someone's skimming Chase's cards right after they're made and before they're shipped to us.

I agree.  Does seem to happen to Chase more than other creditors.  Wonder if there is any industry stats available that shows fraud percentages for all the banks.  

Message 19 of 45
wche
Regular Contributor

Out of all the cards from different lenders, my Chase cards have been the only ones affected by fraudulent activity in the last 3 years. It seems I get a fraud alert at least once a year on my Chase accounts. In one instance, both my Freedom and CSP were affected one week apart. Same observation for my Mom's Chase cards -- her sockdrawered card had a fraud alert earlier this year. What's up with Chase??

Message 20 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.