Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud - CSP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fraud - CSP

For what it's worth my CSP only got replaced once since I got it a year ago and that's because I used it at Home Depot. So strange that multiple people got hit multiple times in a short period of time. Cat Surprised

Message 21 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe the hackers left themselves a backdoor that Chase hasnt discovered. Who knows?
Message 22 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

At the Shmoocon hacker conference, Paget aimed to indisputably prove what hackers have long known and the payment card industry has repeatedly downplayed and denied: That RFID-enabled credit card data can be easily, cheaply, and undetectably stolen and used for fraudulent transactions. With a Vivotech RFID credit card reader she bought on eBay for $50, Paget wirelessly read a volunteer’s credit card onstage and obtained the card’s number and expiration date, along with the one-time CVV number used by contactless cards to authenticate payments. A second later, she used a $300 card-magnetizing tool to encode that data onto a blank card. And then, with a square attachment for the iPhone that allows anyone to swipe a card and receive payments, she paid herself $15 of the volunteer’s money with the counterfeit card she’d just created. (She also handed the volunteer a twenty dollar bill, essentially selling the bill on stage for $15 to avoid any charges of illegal fraud.)

Message 23 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

At the Shmoocon hacker conference, Paget aimed to indisputably prove what hackers have long known and the payment card industry has repeatedly downplayed and denied: That RFID-enabled credit card data can be easily, cheaply, and undetectably stolen and used for fraudulent transactions. With a Vivotech RFID credit card reader she bought on eBay for $50, Paget wirelessly read a volunteer’s credit card onstage and obtained the card’s number and expiration date, along with the one-time CVV number used by contactless cards to authenticate payments. A second later, she used a $300 card-magnetizing tool to encode that data onto a blank card. And then, with a square attachment for the iPhone that allows anyone to swipe a card and receive payments, she paid herself $15 of the volunteer’s money with the counterfeit card she’d just created. (She also handed the volunteer a twenty dollar bill, essentially selling the bill on stage for $15 to avoid any charges of illegal fraud.)

Sounds like we should switch to chip and signature/PIN then. (We are.) Also this is kinda moot even if we never do because almost no one issues RFID cards any more.

Message 24 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds like we should switch to chip and signature/PIN then. (We are.) Also this is kinda moot even if we never do because almost no one issues RFID cards any more.

I know, i was just trying to prove a point that cards will always be an easy target.  I had a charge from brazil on my barclays about 6 months ago...brazil! lol

Message 25 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Maybe the hackers left themselves a backdoor that Chase hasnt discovered. Who knows?

That's what I was thinking.

Message 26 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Striker1 wrote:

My guess is maybe at the restaurant from last night?

Wife is an AU and she is actually the one that saw the alert and immediately double checked to make sure we both had our cards in our wallets.  At least CSR was super helpful/nice. Hopefully this will all blow over in the next couple of days, but I have read about these cards and fraud being a problem maybe more so than other cards..

I wonder if fraud is more prevalent with cards with AUs?  It happens all the time on our Amex (AU).   Rarely on my cards that are single user.

Message 27 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

In case anyone is interested in more data points on this subject, someone else just had this happen with their Ritz card, and within this post someone posted a link with a bunch of other people talking about this same problem with their Chase cards. Here's the post:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Overseas-Fraud-So-much-for-chip-transactions/m-p/411913...

Message 28 of 45
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Wow!!! Makes me want to SD for sure.

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 29 of 45
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As others have said nothing really to worry about.  Sadly tons of cards are used fraudulently everyday and it's impossible to know where the card info was copied.  The cc companies don't even try to track it down as there isn't much they can do.  New card will come and you'll be fine.  Happened to me last month with my Ritz card.

+1 now if it was my debit card. i would be worried. Not my money on the credit card. so they will take care of it. once you report it. in this case. already done. just wait for new card.

Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.