Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud dept calls after using us bank card 4 x

tag
ShiningDown
Frequent Contributor

Fraud dept calls after using us bank card 4 x

Anyone ever use their card a few times and get a call from fraud dept asking to verify purchases.  I took my finch to the vet and the bill was 50.00, after that I put 15.00 in gas then I stopped at Wendy's 8.00. I arrived home and my son used 1.49 for some gaming thing or whatever online. All this was from 11:00 pm to 2:00 pm, then the phone rings it was US Bank wanting me to verify purchases and they will reactivate my card. The recording only asked about the gas and 1.49 so I verified the charges and the recording said  thank you we will now activate your card it will be available in 5 min. I was on empty and 50 minutes away from home so Im just happy I got my gas to get home before they shut my card down for a fake fraud alert. Next time I will get gas before I leave town.    Life goes on........... 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Fraud dept calls after using us bank card 4 x

Lol..   No kidding. 

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Bright side Automated system calling you means you don't get declined wondering what's up... Just hope you don't miss the call or if you do miss it you listen to vcmail to call back.  Most likly it was the internet charge that got the fraud alert going, a Charge in very small amounts online is a big trigger with a ton of banks because that's usually the tester for theives to check if a card still works is put a small charge through, the second they get approval on a small charge you can usually find 4-5 much larger purchases trying to go through in a matter of seconds.

Message 3 of 6
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

My GUESS, would be that most fraud charges (the ones I see in my bank) are online and gas stations. Maybe they have a trigger set to monitor for these types of activity. I think its better safe than sorry I guess, depends on how often they would be doing this. I could see it getting frustrated, but thats just my take on it Smiley Happy

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 4 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Anything online game related, expect fraud departments to potentially flag if it just suddenly shows up for the first time.  A non-trivial amount of stolen CC's get used for such things.

This is especially true with some companies verifying credit cards with a 0.00 charge for subscription services.  Double bonus with something one of the BOFA fraud analysts let slip once regarding the one time my credit card number was obtained and used fraudulently.

        
Message 5 of 6
lanc
Regular Contributor

It probably flagged it if you used it for gas and then bought something online an hour away

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.