Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud is really just too much

tag
core
Valued Contributor

Re: Fraud is really just too much

@Anonymous wrote:

So, how do you fix it? I doubt that is what has happened here, as I don't type in my credit card numbers nor enter them on my computer. I'm still wiling to loon into every possible avenue.

I'm not a Mac programmer, so I cannot say.  Even on Windows or Unix, the necessary steps to "fix" a keylogger would far exceed the customary length of a forum post.  I seriously don't think anything of the sort was used in your case so don't worry about it.  I was just responding to your post which said "I have a Mac".   I'm not even sure what that meant.  Macs generally aren't targeted because there's no money in it (given the users).  Doesn't mean something can't happen.

Message 41 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa,

On Halloween, I went into our local Halloween store and used my Venture card.  I lost sight of my card for no more than a minute, and unfortunately, you know what happened next.  A seasonal store, a dishonest seasonal employee makes for a perfect recipe for some credit card fraud.  However they do it, swiped a replica of my card in December and tried purchasing gift cards totalling $850.  They successfully got away with $615 in cards until Capital One shut them down.

Then, while in Atlanta for two weeks, I got an email from American Express saying that someone in Michigan, my homestate, swiped a replica (again) of my Amex ED card.  Tried purchasing something for $1050, but Amex was on top of it.  Flagged it as fraudulent activity, and the perps got nothing.  I hadn't used my ED card since October, and like you, my cards are in my possession at all times. 

Then, yesterday, I got an email from Capital One informing me about how generous I was with a tip at a fast food restaurant (like a Chipotle) in Atlanta on the 13th.  My bill was $11.31 and after the employee tipped herself $8.69,  the total charge was $20.  I usually put a zero where a tip would go and total the amount and sign, but she was friendly and talkative,and I'm thinking I only signed and left the other stuff open.  So, she did it for me. This was on my Venture card.  Instead of contacting Capital One, I called the restaurant directly and was fortunate that the manager answered my call.  He took down all the info, apologized, and said he would get back to me.  Eight hours later, he called and said the employee had money issues, had compromised other customer's cards, police were involved, and she's out of a job.

How could she possibly think that she could get away with this? She wasn't young,about my age, and it's really sad what she did to her life.

Message 42 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@core wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So, how do you fix it? I doubt that is what has happened here, as I don't type in my credit card numbers nor enter them on my computer. I'm still wiling to loon into every possible avenue.

I'm not a Mac programmer, so I cannot say.  Even on Windows or Unix, the necessary steps to "fix" a keylogger would far exceed the customary length of a forum post.  I seriously don't think anything of the sort was used in your case so don't worry about it.  I was just responding to your post which said "I have a Mac".   I'm not even sure what that meant.  Macs generally aren't targeted because there's no money in it (given the users).  Doesn't mean something can't happen.

Perhaps you can suggest steps people can take to determine if they have this on their computer, or a program that checks for it? I'm just thinking that other people reading this might want to know.

Message 43 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa,

On Halloween, I went into our local Halloween store and used my Venture card.  I lost sight of my card for no more than a minute, and unfortunately, you know what happened next.  A seasonal store, a dishonest seasonal employee makes for a perfect recipe for some credit card fraud.  However they do it, swiped a replica of my card in December and tried purchasing gift cards totalling $850.  They successfully got away with $615 in cards until Capital One shut them down.

Then, while in Atlanta for two weeks, I got an email from American Express saying that someone in Michigan, my homestate, swiped a replica (again) of my Amex ED card.  Tried purchasing something for $1050, but Amex was on top of it.  Flagged it as fraudulent activity, and the perps got nothing.  I hadn't used my ED card since October, and like you, my cards are in my possession at all times. 

Then, yesterday, I got an email from Capital One informing me about how generous I was with a tip at a fast food restaurant (like a Chipotle) in Atlanta on the 13th.  My bill was $11.31 and after the employee tipped herself $8.69,  the total charge was $20.  I usually put a zero where a tip would go and total the amount and sign, but she was friendly and talkative,and I'm thinking I only signed and left the other stuff open.  So, she did it for me. This was on my Venture card.  Instead of contacting Capital One, I called the restaurant directly and was fortunate that the manager answered my call.  He took down all the info, apologized, and said he would get back to me.  Eight hours later, he called and said the employee had money issues, had compromised other customer's cards, police were involved, and she's out of a job.

How could she possibly think that she could get away with this? She wasn't young,about my age, and it's really sad what she did to her life.

weedeb, thank you for your support. I appreciate it. I'm really sorry that happened to you and I know you understand.

My Hyatt card has never been outside the house and I've had it for less than a month. If I could explain it as a retailer breach, I'd almost feel better knowing something concrete.

Message 44 of 60
core
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Perhaps you can suggest steps people can take to determine if they have this on their computer, or a program that checks for it? I'm just thinking that other people reading this might want to know.

Already responded via PM.  Not a Mac guy.  I am however a Windows and Unix guy.  And I can safely say there is no way to defend against a single individual on a mission.  If you've got an SO then don't let them near your machine, is the best advice I can give.  Or visit a forum like hijackthis a few times.

Bulk-crook-type people do not want to fuss with keyloggers.  At least I've not seen it, and I've seen all.  It would be trivial to put all keystrokes through LUHN-10 and send successes to the server, but why?  Way too much fuss. 

Given all that's been said about Chase lately, it's Chase employees.  Or their 3rd party employees.  Doesn't matter which to the consumer.  This is getting ridiculous.

Message 45 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Humu,

It seems that it's happening to many. How can your new card, that has never left your house, be compromised? These crooks are that good.  They have you before you even know you've been had. The only one in my immediate family who has not been affected by some type of fraud or had a card compromised is my son.  My daughter's credit was destroyed by an employee who was working in the financial aid office at her college, and conveniently, had my daughter's info at her disposal. That employee opened up three cc, ran them up, didn't pay, and my daughter only happened to find this out when she ran her credit report and saw her previously good credit demolished.  She learned her lesson and follows her credit closely now.  We need to watch our accounts, ie. checking, credit cards closely, especially pending and posted transactions.

Message 46 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Humu,

It seems that it's happening to many. How can your new card, that has never left your house, be compromised? These crooks are that good.  They have you before you even know you've been had. The only one in my immediate family who has not been affected by some type of fraud or had a card compromised is my son.  My daughter's credit was destroyed by an employee who was working in the financial aid office at her college, and conveniently, had my daughter's info at her disposal. That employee opened up three cc, ran them up, didn't pay, and my daughter only happened to find this out when she ran her credit report and saw her previously good credit demolished.  She learned her lesson and follows her credit closely now.  We need to watch our accounts, ie. checking, credit cards closely, especially pending and posted transactions.

+1

Message 47 of 60
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@core wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks Salsa - it's a Mac and is fully updated at this point. On a Mac, I'm not sure what else I can update, but the security updates with El Capitan were recent. None of my accounts display my full credit card numbers, but it is a good thought and is much appreciated. Smiley Happy

It doesn't matter what operating system you have, and it doesn't really matter how updated it is.  If I write a custom keylogger and send it to you _and_ you run it, Apple is not going to have a signature of that malware so they can't defend you against it.  Apple has nothing to do with it.  But I will have your credit card numbers.

So, how do you fix it? I doubt that is what has happened here, as I don't type in my credit card numbers nor enter them on my computer. I'm still willing to look into every possible avenue.

First line of defense is not to click on any links in a forum post by core!

Message 48 of 60
Aarvard
Established Contributor

My Hyatt card was also compromised today. Found a $3.00 charge by Stand With Us on my account so I called Chase to report it. They immediately sent out a replacement card and cancelled the old card.
Do you guys think it's a coincidence?

Edit: I think any of you guys who opened a Chase Hyatt last month should all check your account for abnormal activities.

@Anonymous wrote:

This morning, I received an alert that a $2.00 charge for some radical organization in Israel was placed on my Chase Hyatt card. I immediately called Hyatt and cancelled the card and they are sending a replacement. It's kind of annoying because I only used the card one place online that I'm very familiar with and was very secure, and have had the card for less than a month.

The hardest thing about Chase is they seem to like to ask you (incorrect) questions from Innovis instead of simple things from your credit report or your Chase account to verify you. Innovis seems to have several incorrect things about me (what street I lived on in third grade, for example). I asked them to please ask me more relevant things that relate to my Chase account or one of the major credit reports (i.e., Experian) to verify me. I know that other people on here have had concerns with Innovis being incorrect, and from what people have reported here, Innovis is almost impossible to fix.

My Venture card was compromised just about 10 days ago too, and I had not even used that card since October. It was last used by me at a restaurant in a different state, in October.

Just a few weeks prior, Barclay tells me they have to send me a new card because of a merchant breach that my particular card may not have been involved in (no incorrect charges on the card and just received the replacement one recently). So although my Barclaycard wasn't breached, they decided to replace it anyway due to a retailer breach.

There is no commonality between the type of places each card was used at (totally different  - online secure site for a major organization that I've used before with a different card, restaurant in different state, and I never did find out who the merchant was that Barclay says was supposedly breached).

Yes, it's nice that I don't have liability and that the card companies cover me, but that's not the point. The whole thing is irritating and disconcerting, especially since it's 3 cards within a couple of weeks that I don't use much at all, have used at different types of places (no common theme), and I have not had them out of my possession. No one else has access to my cards.

I know fraud is becoming more prevalent, but this is ridiculous. I'm sure it's just an unfortunate coincidence, but it is not fun. Smiley Sad

03/25/2015 TU 08 765, EX 08 747, EQ 08 757, EQ 04 754.
01/30/2016 TU 08 775, EX 08 752, EQ 08 744
Goal: 780+ across all models.
Message 49 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aarvard wrote:

My Hyatt card was also compromised today. Found a $3.00 charge by Stand With Us on my account so I called Chase to report it. They immediately sent out a replacement card and cancelled the old card.
Do you think it's a coincidence?

@Anonymous wrote:

This morning, I received an alert that a $2.00 charge for some radical organization in Israel was placed on my Chase Hyatt card. I immediately called Hyatt and cancelled the card and they are sending a replacement. It's kind of annoying because I only used the card one place online that I'm very familiar with and was very secure, and have had the card for less than a month.

The hardest thing about Chase is they seem to like to ask you (incorrect) questions from Innovis instead of simple things from your credit report or your Chase account to verify you. Innovis seems to have several incorrect things about me (what street I lived on in third grade, for example). I asked them to please ask me more relevant things that relate to my Chase account or one of the major credit reports (i.e., Experian) to verify me. I know that other people on here have had concerns with Innovis being incorrect, and from what people have reported here, Innovis is almost impossible to fix.

My Venture card was compromised just about 10 days ago too, and I had not even used that card since October. It was last used by me at a restaurant in a different state, in October.

Just a few weeks prior, Barclay tells me they have to send me a new card because of a merchant breach that my particular card may not have been involved in (no incorrect charges on the card and just received the replacement one recently). So although my Barclaycard wasn't breached, they decided to replace it anyway due to a retailer breach.

There is no commonality between the type of places each card was used at (totally different  - online secure site for a major organization that I've used before with a different card, restaurant in different state, and I never did find out who the merchant was that Barclay says was supposedly breached).

Yes, it's nice that I don't have liability and that the card companies cover me, but that's not the point. The whole thing is irritating and disconcerting, especially since it's 3 cards within a couple of weeks that I don't use much at all, have used at different types of places (no common theme), and I have not had them out of my possession. No one else has access to my cards.

I know fraud is becoming more prevalent, but this is ridiculous. I'm sure it's just an unfortunate coincidence, but it is not fun. Smiley Sad

Aavard..... the fraudulent charge on mine was for the SAME organization, same day. We need to report that to Hyatt as well. It's not the organization doing it, but the fact that someone feels comfortable enough to try running the $2 and $3 fraudulent charges through that organization as a "test."

Sorry it happened to you as well. Smiley Sad

Message 50 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.