Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud on Discover card?

tag
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover hacked?

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Ok , just got off the phone with Disco, apparently somewhere i used it , cant say where, msy have reported a data breach and Disco proactively closed that account and are issuing a new one. I couldnt freeze that account online even though it will temail closed, she froze it for me anyway Smiley Wink. I had a zero balance and just used it a week ago for$25 so dont know if it was there or somewhere else.

Really appreciate Disco doing that so fast . Abcd2199, not sure about that but ill check again. Sorry guys just wanted to give a heads up to my fellow Discoers in case was a Equihack.

That likely explains why the same thing happened to ABCD. He probably charged at the same merchant.

Capital One did the same thing with me a few years ago when Target was hacked and I had used my card there. A year or so later they changed out my card again for the same reason. They didn't specify the merchant, but I think it was Home Depot. They didn't fully shut down my cards, though. They sent out replacement cards with new account numbers, and I had something like 21 days to activate them before the current card would stop working.

In two more recent cases — where I had actual fraudulent charges on my accounts, the cards were shut down immediately. I would have been able to make payments, and merchants would have been able to issue refunds. But my ability to use the card to spend was severely limited until I had the new card in hand. I was able to access my new card number in their Wallet app and use it for "card not present" transactions. But I didn't have full use of the account until I had the replacement card in hand.

The biggest hassle was updating about 18 recurring payments. Make sure you check for that. With the new card number, they're unlikely to work until you update them. In a couple of cases, I had payments that were coming up soon, and I paid them manually with another card.

Message 11 of 27
Ardecko
Frequent Contributor

I received a surprise replacement debit card today from my CU.

The letter, that came in a seperate envelope, indicated it was because I had used it in a place that had had a "data breach".

I was on the phone with them asking why I'd received a new card when the rep said, you should have received a letter telling you about it... oh yeah, that other envelope I've not yet opened. <sheep>

2017-09-09 FICO 08: EQ 677, TU 640, EX 705
2020-02-07 FICO 08: TU 789
2020-02-10 FICO 08: EX 752

Gardening, mostly, again until... soon(I need to replace my car)

Message 12 of 27
805orbust
Valued Contributor

AJC, I got the same message as well brother... I'm thinking it's because Discover is so heavily connected to EQ.  Iirc, that's the bureau that they pull for all their approvals as a default, right?  I'm so stark raving mad about this I'm about to scream.  But at least I have you lunatics to keep me company Smiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fraud on Discover card?

Yep, proactive measures are always good! I'm not entirely sure what the rules are about posting links are so I'm not going to, but I follow IT/InformationSecurity trends pretty closely and you guys might check into Brian Krebs blog kresbsonsecurity. He closely covers major breaches & usually breaks news of them before anyone else (both target, home depot & I think TJX recently) does. It's also a good read for picking up general privacy & credit/ID security best practice tips and advice, plus really neat insights into how fraud works & who the people are behind it. Always one of my daily reads since back when he still was at the Washington post, highly recommend!
Message 14 of 27
irunfromcredit
Frequent Contributor

I got the same message when I logged into my Discover IT miles. Haven't used the card ina couple of weeks. Message indicated I should be getting a replacement card in the next few days
Scores 8/25/2017~ TU: 753 / EXP: 742 / EQ: 726
Goal: 770's or higher by end of 2017
Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was checking my Discover info today via the app and my cash back and some other stuff wouldn't show so I logged on via my laptop and got the same message but that I would still be able to use my current card until I activated the new one they sent. I too am a breached EQ victim and have used the Discover to freeze my EQ report over the last six months or so. About a week and a half ago, my Amex Blue Cash was compromised. I haven't used it in months but have notifications setup so if a purchase is made I'm notified immediately...so I saw a purchase notification pop up and called Amex and they shut it down and sent me another card. Likely the start of things to come thanks to EQ. I took their free monitoring service for a year and was told to come back on 9/13 to sign up for it and did so. I was then told I would receive an email with more info on signing up and haven't yet received that email....but also said that they are basically slammed and if I don't receive it in three days to notify them. EQ has really screwed the pooch here and haven't been very good about communicating.

Message 16 of 27
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Just great.

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope all is good now accross the DISCO board. Checked mine for the first time not mobile app, and mine is OK.

Thanks for the heads up!
Message 18 of 27
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Just got the security email alert myself like a few minutes ago. New card is on the way, but I can continue using my current one until I activate my new one. As well, my card is at a $0 balance.

Edit...This was on my MILES card 

Message 19 of 27
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Anyone going to continue using their Disco in the meantime.? I told the csr freeze my old account just in case. I got other cards i can use in the week or 2 it may take to get the new cardSmiley Wink
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.